Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Pine plank ceiling finish and air leaks ?
Rifraf
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 13:51 - Edited by: Rifraf

Hi ,

First thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply to me, and all of my previous questions. I'm fairly new around here and I know I dont contribute alot of useful information I wish I could add more. im learning as I go with my small cabin.

My next question is in regards to my lofted ceiling, I want to finish it with some white pine v-groove planks. But now that ive decided to add the ridge vent and soffits, im concerned with air being pulled out of the cabin through the pine planks , out the ridge vent.

Should I add a thin film of poly between the planks and the trusses ? or would that create more moisture issues ? To recap, this will be full time cabin in the midwest, electric heat and ac.

Thanks

Malamute
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 17:20

I'm assuming you'll have insulation in the ceiling. I use a heavy plastic sheeting between the insulation and finish ceiling, which is a vapor barrior. The kraft faced insulation tears easily and can leak more air than a single plastic sheet. I tape the edges and joints also, and cut the plastic around the lighting boxes in an X pattern so they stretch the plastic tightly over them.

Rifraf
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 18:25

Yes in my ceiling ill have a 1.5 inch air gap at the roof, then 2 inches of rigid foam, I cannot find 2 inch batt or I would probably use that
my vertical walls will have wet cellulose blown in, im told not to put plastic over them, your thoughts ?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.