Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cost to extend the power grid to your cabin?
PA_Bound
# Posted: 3 Mar 2012 10:26 - Edited by: PA_Bound

I'm curious, for those on the forum that had an electric utility extend service to your properties, how far did you have to extend and how much did it cost to have that done?

neb
# Posted: 3 Mar 2012 10:55 - Edited by: neb

It does vary from parts of the country and that cost is not regulated by federal gov. but is the cost each PC has to have to come out on.

2625 is a half and most go by footage to biuld line. I can talk for the Co-op that I have in my area and it is $4.50 a foot. So that would come to $11800.00. It will take about 9 to 10 poles to cover the distant and each pole is about $500.00 a piece. The cost of the line is for material only and in our system that is all it covers is material. The cost of material is about the same amount of money that goes to labor and trucks and that cost is the burden of the PC. So a 11,000.00 you can add 11,000.00 more for labor, trucks, easements and engineering costs which the PC pay that is never seen by the consumer. I would say a range from 4.00 to 8.00 bucks a foot depending on the area you live in. Underground installation usually costs more to biuld too. The price of oil has made costs rise because wire coating is a petrolium product and that has gone to the sky.

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Mar 2012 11:31

$55K. 8/10 mile from an underground transformer vault on a connecting line. Just to the property line. Then another 1/4 mile or so all on me. Underground, mountainous rocky terrain. That was the estimate. Never did it

Retired
# Posted: 4 Mar 2012 18:18

Oregon I had to run my power in from the corner of my property 1100' to the building site, at which point they installed one transformer. Then they continued another 300 ft and installed another transformer for my pump house, with enough power to build an additonal agricultural building. $6500 for the power company $1800 for the excavator, $650 for electrical parts, doesn't include the cost of vaults for each transformer, and the electricians to hook it all up. I was a concrete contractor and had done favors for an electrical contractor over the years and he returned the favor.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Mar 2012 22:18 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

For me, I 'm exactly 1/4 mile (1,320 feet) to have it at my driveway gate. That will cost me about $13,000. That is buried and all cost. Not to hook it up, just to my corner o f my property. I considered this when I put in my driveway and the location of the cabin. I need to run it to my cabin, its too far in, will need a transformer, and there is so much per foot there and then there is also $2,800 capacity charge during hookup (above and beyond hookup charge). I will eventually do this. Real close to $10 a foot.

Rob_O
# Posted: 5 Mar 2012 09:40

I had to extend an underground HV line (7200V) 520 feet from my neighbors transformer. Utility wanted $3000 to do the job, I bought the materials from them and got it done for about $2300

Montanan
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 00:20

We were lucky, as there were already power lines running through our property. We had to pay $1000 to put a transformer on the nearest pole and run the power to our mast (overhead, obviously.) We could have buried it, but that was way more $$$.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 13:29

Ours is about 35k for a mile. We are about to run it about 6/10 of a mile and add 2 hook-ups, one for each cabin.

We HOPE to have it done in the next 3-5 months.

R

optimistic
# Posted: 24 Mar 2012 19:16

PA_Bound
In PA ---- PPL Electric told me that they will go as far as 500ft from the nearest pole into your property for free... More than that will cost you.

ryan14
# Posted: 23 May 2014 13:43

Just paid for ours Monday with the Co-op. The primary line runs right along the dirt road our cabin is on. They are adding a transformer to the main pole and installing a secondary pole close to the cabin that we will install the meter on. It came to $1200 and the cabin is 30 yards from an existing electric pole. That price doesn't include us having to install the meter and wire into the cabin breaker box.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 May 2014 21:06 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: PA_Bound
I'm curious, for those on the forum that had an electric utility extend service to your properties, how far did you have to extend and how much did it cost to have that done?

Repost to an old post.
Not done yet, but I'm now 1/4 mile away and it will cost me about $13,000 (buried) . Doesnt include hookup, just to get it to my SW corner.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 May 2014 21:27

its getting closer...you will love it when you get it...

at my Maine hunting camp...the town did not want to let me get power to the camp...eagle nest on lake out back. Wildlife concerns. I told them what makes the most noise a generator or flipping a light switch. They signed off on it...power company charged me 25 dollars for a hook up fee...and my minimum is $6.56 a month...I sent them 300 dollars...they a paid up for a while...lol

PatrickH
# Posted: 23 May 2014 22:42

1600.00 to the power company included transformer and underground run to the place about 200' 250.00 for elec permit and another 350 ish for meter socket,panel,ground rods,wire and the rest of the jiblets to hook it up.

woodrow03
# Posted: 24 May 2014 23:57

500$ start up fee
250$
To run it in 50ft from road
5$ a foot

400$ for a breaker and four outlets

trapperdave
# Posted: 28 May 2014 09:44

Northern Wi.I'm 1 1/10 mile to closest power .WPS quoted me 66,000 dollars.Guess i'll keep using a generator.Dave

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 28 May 2014 21:55

I just got an estimate on running several poles around 500 yards from the last pole on the neighbors place. $11,000 minus the $5,000 Ohio rural property assistance so it would cost me $6,000. I think it was cheaper to have run to property edge and do my own underground ditch. Considering solar instead.

-Brian

Salty Craig
# Posted: 1 Jun 2014 07:04

The Northern Neck Electric Coop quoted me $6,000. That's to run it overhead to my property corner, then buried to my cabin. I estimate the total distance at 1,000ft. Havn't done it yet but hope to.

Salty Craig

RICKORCHIDKAMINSKI
# Posted: 16 Jun 2016 11:43

hello how can I get electric to my Stroudsburg cabin in pa?

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Jun 2016 12:44

Call the local electric company (might be this one?) or go 100% solar off grid.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.