Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Soffit Vent material?
Bridge Boy
# Posted: 5 Mar 2012 22:11

Hi,

I am replacing my soffit cloth screen with either the continous vent material in 8 ft lengths or a heavy duty 6 inch fairly heavy duty wide roll of screen that I located at Lowes. I will remove soffit wood and redo with new 3/4 x 6 inch wide cedar. Does anyone know what is best?

I wonder what the US forest service people use as I had a squirrel issue where they just pushed up screen ?

Bridge boy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 6 Mar 2012 05:31 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: Bridge Boy
continous vent material in 8 ft lengths

thats what i used at my new camp--worked and looked great===they have it in white or brown

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Mar 2012 10:11

Hardie makes cement fiber board with ventilation holes all along the outside edge

Bridge Boy
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 22:35

Turkeyhunter and Mtn Don,

Thanks for your input on soffit vents.

I sure want to use a material that will never fail in the future.

Never thought squirrels could be such an aggravating problem!

Retired
# Posted: 8 Mar 2012 11:38

I used hardi soffit board myself. In addition I used a bead of caulk around the outside of the holes and used a role of fine mesh screening, probably nylon, comes on 8" wide rolls, to keep the ants and smaller bugs from going in the air holes. I did this of course on the side you don't see, and before I nailed it in place.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 15:07

Quoting: MtnDon
Hardie makes cement fiber board with ventilation holes all along the outside edge

We did this as well. I thought about adding screen like Retired did but didn't as we were running out of time/weather.

If your soffit was painted the Hardi looks like rough wood on the finished side.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.