Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Rigid Insulation under metal roof?
johnsb
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 17:55

Its time to replace my roll-roofing again, and I'm thinking of a more permanent solution than the 8-10 years I get now. Current roof is 1-12 single-pitch, shiplap on top of joists (joists/shiplap are open inside cabin, no current insulation) covered by plywood, then tar paper and the roll roofing. Cabin is seldom used in below-freezing conditions. I was thinking about laying some rigid insulation on top of the current roof, strapping it, then lay down the sheet metal roof. (leaving an inch or so space above the insulation).
Any comments or suggestions on my approach?

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 18:14

Metal roofing has low pitch limits. Check that out.

Placing rigid sheet foam is quite effective, best done in 2 layers or more, with staggered seams, well taped/sealed. You can then also apply OSB or plywood and screw the whole works down to the rafters with long structural screws. Then any roofing suitable for low pitches can be installed.

Thought about EPDM?

johnsb
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 14:23

Thanks for the heads-up on pitch limits. Pretty much nixes the metal roof thoughts for me. We have significant snow to deal with, and damming and backflow is a concern. Roll roofing has been a good, but time-limited solution. I'll just have to keep replacing it every 8-10 years - I've done it 3 times already, so it is a well trod path..

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.