Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / How high can a cabin be?
dvgchef
# Posted: 16 May 2009 13:44

Greetings all;
Am in the planning stages of building a 12'X12' cabin. I can't go larger cause of zoning - the footprint must be less than 150 Square Feet but I can go as high as 35'! That would be crazy, but can I go to 18' high? I'm thinking I would like to have a raised loft area, so the cabin would basically be 1 and 1/2 stories. I'm asking this in regards to structural integrity & engineering POV. any help, past experiences or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks!
DG

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 16 May 2009 20:01

18' should not be a problem. This tower is 10' by 10':

dvgchef
# Posted: 17 May 2009 06:25

Thanks!
Is this your cabin? must have awesome views!
Is that a solar system on the roof? That would be my next step after the cabin and privy.

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 18 May 2009 03:28

No, I'm still planning mine. You are right about the solar system...that is in fact the owners' power shed, and my guess is they made it that tall to keep the panels in the sun longer.

cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Sep 2009 11:22

thats the coolest cabin.i love it.thanks for sharing.cabingal3

Borrego
# Posted: 15 Sep 2009 21:57

If you wanted to use the appropriate footings, posts and engineered beams, you could technically go as high as you wanted..... real footings may not be allowed in your area and it depends on the visibility of your lot...

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Aug 2010 20:29

Quoting: dvgchef
Greetings all;
Am in the planning stages of building a 12'X12' cabin. I can't go larger cause of zoning - the footprint must be less than 150 Square Feet but I can go as high as 35'! That would be crazy, but can I go to 18' high? I'm thinking I would like to have a raised loft area, so the cabin would basically be 1 and 1/2 stories. I'm asking this in regards to structural integrity & engineering POV. any help, past experiences or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks!
DG

Usually anything over 20 feet high needs a variance.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.