Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Vertical log construction
overmywaders
# Posted: 15 Mar 2012 19:23

In 1977 I decided to build a 12'x12' log cabin on some land I had 1/4 mile from a road on PEI. There was plenty of spruce for the logs, but it was not large, nor straight and long enough, for conventional horizontal log construction.
So, I decided to build with vertical logs. I set railway ties vertically to support the long sill logs about two feet above the ground; ran log floor joists between these; then nailed 2x8s as sill plates.
I decided to peel my logs (not easy) and cut them to a length I could easily handle - 7'3". Once I put the corner logs up and laid 2x10 top plates between them, it was just a matter of filling in. Each log was upright against its neighbor, then I ran the chain saw up between them and toe-nailed the new log in place. Then up the ladder to drive a 4" spike from above, through the top-plate and into the log.
I don't know the cost of the cabin. Most of the expense was for sawn wood for the roof (over log rafters), main floor, and sleeping loft. I worked one day a week, took home $23, and that paid for oatmeal, tea, biscuit mix, and Dinty Moore Beef Stew (with pre-formed beef chunks), plus gas, chain oil, etc.
I highly recommend vertical log construction. The advantages - ease of construction, each log is a supporting pillar, natural run-off of rain. See file below:
cabin3.jpg
cabin3.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.