Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Plexiglass windows.. how thick
canadaman30
# Posted: 16 Mar 2012 17:42

Found this site very useful for constuction. Building a small hunting cabin and going to be using plexiglass for most of my windows as the price is right and trying to keep unwanted guests from breaking in. Was wondering how thick of plexiglass I should use...any suggestions. Windows will be around 24"X48"

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Mar 2012 21:00

For something like 24 x 48 I believe 3/16" would be my choice. Plexi flexes a lot over a broad expanse like 48". Why not check out the flexiness at the store and go from there. Or divide the window as in a window with individual 12 x 12 panes; 1/8" would work for that.

Plexiglass can be cracked with a good solid blow. Not as easy as breaking glass, for certain. The good thing is it does not shatter into sharp shards like glass. Lexan is impact resistant, but more money.

Martian
# Posted: 16 Mar 2012 22:09 - Edited by: Martian

If your goal is to secure the cabin, go as thick as you can afford and put strong backing behind it; at least one across the middle. More is better.

To help stop the crazing around the edges, use a plastics bit in a router to cut it. If you saw it, file the edge to remove the saw marks. Then pass a propane torch along the edge to relieve the stresses. Keep the flame moving. It'll be easy to see the heat travel with the flame. Keep the torch 3-4 inches from the plastic.

Tom

hattie
# Posted: 17 Mar 2012 02:09 - Edited by: hattie

Hubby says to use Lexan polycarbonate instead of plexiglass. It is way tougher than plexiglass. It is a bullet-proof plastic. You can get it in clear or you can get it in double or triple wall. The double and triple wall have ribs in them (and have insulating properties) and it lets the light through but you can't see into the building. Hubby uses that in his shop and also in our greenhouse. Talk to the people who sell it and they will be able to tell you the best for your use.

razmichael
# Posted: 18 Mar 2012 17:08

Sorry - not directly related but as soon as you talk about plexiglass windows I cannot help but to remember this short video from a security cam showing two idiots trying to break a plexi (or similar) window.. Idiots

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.