Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Space between buildings
Aqua
# Posted: 27 Mar 2012 18:31

For the minimum required space to be considered a separate structure. Would this be in the P&Z ordinances? If I don't see a minimum in P&Z, can I assume there is none, or where else do I look? I don't want to ask! What is a normal minimum or is there any federal minimum?

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Mar 2012 20:37

I would think if the second building was not attached to the first in any manner it would be called separate. Possibly a weather tight connecting passage could be considered a link that makes them one. I wouldn't want to bet on it though. Every P&Z can make their own rules, their own way of looking at things. As long as they follow the rules there's nothing anyone can easily do.

Fire regulations may have more to say about how close separate buildings can be to one anther. You should be able to ask without identifying yourself. I've made inquiries by phone; dial *67 before the number. That disables their caller ID. That can also make some systems reject your call. And I've dropped by the office to ask questions. never had to ID myself then either.

Here the only stated set backs are from the property lines and that no accessory building can be in front of a line across the rear of the main structure. My original detached garage/workshop was legal when we first built it as it was three inches past the rear wall. When I added a room onto the house the garage/shop was technically in violation, but was 'grandfathered'. However, I was curious, so I asked. if the garage burned down and was damaged beyond 50%, then I'd have to rebuild with the proper setback and make it smaller as the original size would then be too close to the rear property line.

Here all the P&Z rules are available online in a 77 page PDF.

Aqua
# Posted: 27 Mar 2012 21:33

I read somewhere that regulations could require a minimum amount of space between. Must be the rule in some localities.

Fire regulations is a good one to check.

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 1 Apr 2012 02:39

Aqua, where I am the zoning allows two dwellings but requires a minimum 10m (33') between them. There is no minimum separation specified for accessory structures. A dwelling is defined as containing one kitchen plus bath facilities, so there could be an argument that an unplumbed sleeping cabin is an accessory structure rather than a dwelling and could therefore be located closer than 10m.

I also noticed that our building code has this interesting statement buried in the explanatory notes (this would likely be in most building codes across Canada):

Because decks, balconies, verandas and similar platforms support occupancies, they are, by definition, considered as buildings or parts of buildings.

By extension then, it would seem that two structures joined by a deck would be considered to be one building.

Whatever regulations apply to your situation, be sure to carefully read the definitions of terms like building, accessory building, structure, dwelling, etc.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.