Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / cool product (pier foundation blocks)
bhebby
# Posted: 31 Mar 2012 16:16

This past week I was working with one of my clients at his local home and garden show and the booth next to us had a really cool product that I wish I knew about when I built mine. It allows you to have a rock solid pier foundation without calling in the cement truck. I think they run about 150 each which isnt too bad considering the cost of concrete and hauling it in to a remote location.
its called diamond pier.
website is below.
http://www.pinfoundations.com/

boltpost
# Posted: 31 Mar 2012 16:46

I have pin foundations used in a small bridge behind my lot. https://under600squarefeet.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/pin-foundation-in-use.jpg And I have looked at the pin foundations site over the past few years. Early on the website featured a small home and a small home addition showing diamond pins used as a foundation element. Recently noted those pages have been removed. When I called the 800 number and questioned them about use for a small home I was told the owner would call me back, and make suggestions for a structural assistance, or refer me to someone who could do load calc's etc. I have never heard back. The print documentation from the website is impressive, as well as the supporting documentation.

TomChum
# Posted: 31 Mar 2012 17:15

That's a neat product. But I would think that if this works,,,,

Why can't you just dig a sack-sized hole, pound four big 3/4" re-bars in the diamond pattern, then then fill the hole with a sack (or 2) of concrete? That would cost about $20/post, not $150.

For that matter, you could pound more rebars, the softer the ground, the more you pound! Truck axles, or any steel that is thick and won't rust away. Or use coated rebar for longer lasting.

MtnDon
# Posted: 31 Mar 2012 21:53

I think the fact that the company removed the images/info of the small house and small home addition speaks volumes about the suitability for a residence. That and the lack of return call.

bhebby
# Posted: 1 Apr 2012 14:43

Yeah Im not sure how it works just thought it looked like a good solution if you cant get concrete back to your site.

TomChum
# Posted: 1 Apr 2012 17:06 - Edited by: TomChum

They certainly have a "place" but I can also see how they could get used in an inappropriate manner. If I were inclined to do that kind of "temporary" foundation" I'd just make my own as above. It depends on the size of the cabin (=small) where all foundation is perimeter. Or for backyard gardenhouse etc.

I used large rocks for my cabin foundation, and am perfectly happy with them. Mostly for their appearance. Of course I only have ~2 years in it, but have seen lots of others 80+ years old.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.