Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / sub floor mistake
cshaw
# Posted: 2 Jun 2009 01:54

layed 3/4" osb flooring wrong side up. Is this a mistake that I can live with (screwed and glued 16'x28' floor) . How will a inspector view mistake?. Does it affect structure etc. ?.

Vince P
# Posted: 2 Jun 2009 09:43

It doesn't affect the structure for sure. I assume you're going to put something over the subfloor anyway?
I doubt the inspector would fail you for that, if actually notices, but then it probably depends on the inspector.

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 2 Jun 2009 12:37

I agree, it's not a structural issue and I don't think you could be failed for it. I assume you mean you put the slippery side up, so it's just a safety issue while working, especially if there's sawdust on the deck. Better to bring it to the inspector's attention before he slips and puts you on his bad list.

islandguy
# Posted: 2 Jun 2009 13:26

I did the same thing with the sheathing on the exterior walls, although I don't think it will affect anything. I also used 4x8 sheets of smartboard siding, and realized while I was putting it up that it is approved as dual sheathing and siding in one board, which means I put sheathing over my entire cabin twice. :-( I also ran into a problem with the 3/4 T&G plywood subfloor, I did'nt realize the sheets are milled from 4x8s, which means after the T&G gets milled and the sheets are locked together, they don't measure 4x8 anymore, a problem for me, since I did my joists for exactly 16x24. The only option was to either add a one inch filler strip, or just use regular plywood, which is what I did.

cshaw
# Posted: 2 Jun 2009 23:38

thanks for your support and insight into my bonehead move.

wildwood
# Posted: 25 Jul 2009 19:25

As, I have no building experience, I learn from each posting I read. Thanks, to everyone.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.