Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Insulating walls for a woodstove
stoverr2
# Posted: 4 Apr 2012 06:46

I have a relatively small wood/coal stove that I'll be installing here in the next month or so. Its around 120 Yeats old so information on it is limited. I'd say it is 20 inches tall, 12 inches deep, and maybe 22 inches wide. I'll post pictures as soon as I track them down, I think I have a few from when I purchased it.

My question is this, how close can I comfortably place the stove to a well prepared wall? What's a well prepared wall you ask? That's the second part of my question

Im thinking of lining the walls behind the stove with cement board, making spacers from strips of cement board, and putting another sheet of cement board up, thus creating a 2" air barrier as well. This would then be covered with tile og some sort.

Thoughts ?

MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Apr 2012 10:08

Info at Hearth.com

There's a section on older and non listed stoves.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 4 Apr 2012 10:48

General info on woodstove safety: Clearances to Combustible Surfaces

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Apr 2012 19:59 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Probabably need to be around 18 to 24" from a wall. Cement board does you no good unelss you have an air gap. Air gap makes a big difference. You also need 16" in front of the door opening. But you can have a metal sheild to form around the back and sides of the woodstove to tighten up your clearances, but it must be attatched to the woodstove, not just setting in place.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.