Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Where to place wood burning stove?
cottonpicker
# Posted: 5 Apr 2012 12:33

When I build my 16 X 20 cabin I had planned to place my wood burning stove in the exact center of my floor space.

In this manner I would get an equal distribution of heat & no worries about wall clearance.

From what I have seen in here the norm seems to place the stove against a wall.

Am I missing something?

Thanks folks.

Cotton Picker

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Apr 2012 13:49

In the center is great. Thery usually go into a corner or near a wall to open up space. I put mine in the corner behind the door, it was the area I felt was going to be least used.

Martian
# Posted: 5 Apr 2012 14:51

I put mine in the center.

But, with a small place, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot. Especially if you have a ceiling fan to move the air.

Tom

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 5 Apr 2012 16:33 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

I guess it depends on the cabin layout. It could be cumbersome having a hot object in the middle of the cabin - I would bump into it sooner or later... But if it's not hot (double-walled stove and chimney pipe) I guess it's could be in either location.

MtnDon
# Posted: 5 Apr 2012 17:09

My personal belief is that if the space is large enough, central is great. At one time we had a more or less open floor plan 832 sq ft home. The wood stove was pretty much central. Lots of space on most sides to walk about. In our present cabin (432 sq ft) the stove is in a corner and is much better there than central when it comes to safely usable floor space.

I'd do the same (corner) for a 16x20
Only my opiniuon though.

rayyy
# Posted: 5 Apr 2012 17:21

Mine is in the center too.It will have a stone wall built behind it,eventually but the whole idea was to get even heat distrabution throughout the cabin.

TomChum
# Posted: 5 Apr 2012 17:59 - Edited by: TomChum

When it's in the center it is most even heat distribution, but it also results in the biggest gradient. It will be warmest in the center and coldest at all of the walls.

Some parts of the country the stove is used only 25% year, but the stove is in the way for 100% of the year.

Consider putting it in a place where you can "hang out" in the winter.

I put mine next to the door because it's close to the porch where the firewood is. And a shorter path for dropping bark & chips & moss. Also I put it 30 inches from the wall so more people could stand around it.

Lots of pluses & minuses. Now that it's all clear all you have to do is cut a hole in your roof!

MtnDon
# Posted: 5 Apr 2012 18:13

The effect of placement in a corner is lessened depending on the quality of the construction of the cabin, IMO. We use our one room 16 x 30 cabin in winter, a week at Christmas and 3 day weekends at other times. Granted it's not as cold as some places in winter, but it is common to see temperatures down to zero overnight.

Once our cabin is warmed up after sitting frozen cold, the temperature is comfortable everywhere. The mass of 5/8" drywall on many walls helps as does the degree of insulation; R45 ceiling, R19 walls and R25 floor, plus quality windows. No place in our cabin has cold "falling off the walls" once the interior is warmed.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.