Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Roofing and insulation on old cabin
NewGuy222
# Posted: 7 Apr 2012 19:05

Hey all, I am looking for some feedback on a quote my family recently got on new roofing and insulation for an old cabin.

The cabin is basically one large A-frame 34 feet long built in the 60's. It is pretty tall and the roof is steep at around a 75 degree angle. The shingles are coming off and the logs underneath may be rotting, so we want to put in a new roof and also add insulation so that we can use the cabin during the winter (it is in Northern MN). Here is a quote we got from a contractor. I am wondering if you guys could help me out with a. is this a fair price and b. what would be the general time requirement and price for parts it would take to do it ourselves (I have a few friends with some roofing experience).

Finally, do you guys think R-22 and R-10 would be too low for such a climate? The cabin would only be used 2-3 days at a time in the winter but would it be too cold in freezing temperatures?

Here is the quote from the contractor:
"What I have put together for you are roof panels that will be 5-1/2" thick and provide an R-22 roof. I chose these because I was worried about putting too much weight on the roof and this is the lightest option (3-1/2 pounds per square foot). You can view the process at intercept.com. I have figured it would take 3 weeks to strip the old shingles off, install the panels and re-shingle the roof, plus whatever time they need to wire the building. This would allow for a day to replace any ceiling boards that may be damaged/rotted. The cost would be approximately $23,000 for the roof.

It would cost $1600 to insulate the floor with 2" of rigid foam. This would give you an R-10 floor. Further consideration of what would be adequate can be visited in conjunction with the type of heating system that you ultimately end up with."

Thanks to everyone who can help!

dvgchef
# Posted: 7 Apr 2012 20:14

I don't know anything about pricing in your neck of the woods, or for A frames. I know that when I needed a roof the quotes ran from $12,000 to $1200 - for roughly the same work.
I went with my gut and what my wallet would allow.
At 23K I would expect some type of multi-year warranty.
Good luck!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.