Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Outhouse tanks.
bhebby
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 09:39

Someone discussed out house tanks on here in the past and I cant seem to find it now. Has anyone ever used or purchased a tank specifically designed for an outhouse type system? I cant seem to procure one either. Any help or alternative options would be welcomed. I want to put an out house closer to my well than I anticipated but fear ruining my water source even though I dont use it for drinking. thanks

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 10:45

You mean a tank in the ground you can have pumped? They make plastic ones, called surge tanks for septic systems. Has a manhole cover on it for service. They are around 250 gallons.

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 10:54

Tank Depot

Use a spherical tank. They can be totally emptied when buried. Other shape plastic tanks can not be drained completely.

bhebby
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 11:02

Yes thats what I am after. I think some have a toilet type base molded into them. I have seen them at state parks before.

adakseabee
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 15:58

Google plastic septic tanks and you will have many options from which to choose.

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 17:35

Check on the local requirements; some don't permit plastic holding tanks as I just remembered...

johng
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 17:52

Quoting: MtnDon
They can be totally emptied when buried

You'll want to be careful how much is pumped out.
If you're water table is high enough, it could pop out of the ground during a heavy rain.

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 18:45

The spherical design places enough earth on top of the upper part of the sphere, especially if used with at least a 24" tall manhole extension that they are okay to be emptied as a rule.

trollbridge
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 19:15

bhebby....too bad you are so far from Wisconsin. Did you ever get hold of the manufacturer of the tank we have? Probably a lot for shipping huh? It is the same thing they use here for the state parks. I wonder about contracting with an independent trucker who comes this way. May be something to consider.

I would also just say that you would be wise to check with the county to make sure you can have a tank that close to your well.........you and I know it is all self contained and sanitary but the county may be sticklers about their minimums regardless of it being a holding tank.

optimistic
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 19:27

What about using one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/275-gallon-plastic-water-container-IBC-tote-tank-/20074008485 9?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebd0a9c7b

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 20:16

Those are not made to contain side wall loads, hence the cage. Same problem if buried. If they were buried within a well cribbed hole; maybe.

optimistic
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 21:47

mtndon - and if you build those above ground outhouses?

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 22:01

Sorry, I never considered that. My idea of what amounts to a vault toilet is to put the vault in the ground at least two to three feet in case it turns out that it needs to be pumped out when the weather is freezing. But that's me.

optimistic
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 22:16

So you think that placing it above ground won't work because of freezing?

Are underground privies freeze in winter as well? (when are in cold areas) ?

I am also planning my cabin's outhouse so I am learning... ;)

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 22:39

If it was just a pit privy or outhouse that leeches into the ground (and where microbial action works the waste) I wouldn't care. Those fill slowly as the liquids readily disperse into the ground. Only solid matter remains in the pit. With luck it will decompose some. Depending on your winter and the pit depth it may or may not freeze, but it wouldn't matter until the pit fills and the privy needs to be moved.

If it's a tank or vault that collects and holds everything and has to be pumped out, freezing could be a problem if it reached a full level when frozen. I'm also not certain on how those plastic tanks would react to the contents being frozen deeply. We use a spherical tank as a water cistern. I should have buried it an extra foot as in the coldest part of our winter the top 4 to 6 inches freezes. We've not had any damage, just inconvenience. I have a work around to still be able to draw water so it is only an inconvenience. I have thought of hauling a few yards of fill to build up the ground after installing another 2 foot riser. Maybe someday...

The FS vault toilets here in the mtns use concrete vaults that appear to be at least 6 feet deep.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.