Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Weather sealing window trim & through the wall AC
Rifraf
# Posted: 11 Apr 2012 10:31 - Edited by: Rifraf

Hi,

My cabin has t1-11 siding (deep vertical grooves), the windows that are installed in it just have treated rough cut lumber around the outside, no caulking of any kind. This should be sealed with with some sort of silicone im guessing yes ?? For the t1-11 grooves should I just push silicon to fill the groove up or is the a better way to do that ?

Im also guessing the exact method would seal the Through the wall AC from the outside (framed trim sealed with silicon ) ??

Rifraf
# Posted: 11 Apr 2012 10:59 - Edited by: Rifraf

well, i had touched on this question in my other thread but didnt think anyone had seen it, since the thread title was about something else,

MtnDon naturally sniffed it out and gave a reply so this is something of a double post, sorry about that.

ill try to migrate the discussion about this to one topic,
MtnDon had replied

I've never installed one of those sleeves, but it appears the A/C unit slides into it. Therefore the sleeve at the outside wall needs to be sealed. I would think flashing it like a window would work. That is done with flexible self stick material like Grace Vycor Plus.

Other Grace Info

Rifraf
# Posted: 11 Apr 2012 11:07

MtnDon,

Ive pretty much framed my opening width exactly right for the sleeve, dont think I can squeeze any material on the sides, top and bottom I can as i knew to leave 1/4 - 3/8s above the size of sleeve to create an angle for the sleeve to drop away from the house some.

Do you think applying the flashing material just on the top and bottom of the opening folded out onto the cabin sheething, then applying the trim with silicon would be sufficient ?

MtnDon
# Posted: 11 Apr 2012 12:46

The material is thin, but if space is tight it would be good to use it on the exterior, an L=shaped strip folded to stick to the wall and the sleeve. You can also buy smaller rolls of a similar product as the flashing usually comes in 75 foot rolls. Lowe's carries a waterproof tape made by Shurtape. It's aluminum foil with a sticky butyl rubber adhesive backing. Almost 2 inches wide.

Having a slope for the sill is good, just like what should be done for a window. Work from the bottom up just as shown in the Grace literature. The idea is to lead any water to the outside. Overlaps should alweays be done with the higher tape/flashing overlapping the lower. Not the other way around. Don't seal the bottom sleeve to wall joint on the exterior as if water does make it in there you want it to have a way out.

Note the tapes and flashing do not stick to silicone, so if applying any sealant before the tape/flashing be careful. Even a slight wiped smear is enough to cause a no stick problem.

MtnDon
# Posted: 11 Apr 2012 12:54

tape at Lowe's

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.