Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Need help with terminology.
CaliGrlInWV
# Posted: 12 Apr 2012 19:31

Hello. Could someone please explain to me what a "gable truss" and "low slope rafters" are? I am so lost with all of this terminology. Maybe someone can recommend a book for beginners? Thanks for your time.

Marisol

(I'm trying to build my own art studio on my property using reclaimed materials. But I am a total novice. I need all the help I can get. Check out my progress here ArtShedBuild.com)

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Apr 2012 20:05 - Edited by: MtnDon

Gable is the narrower end of a cabin with a roof that is pitched with it's peak parallel to the longer sidewalls.

Truss is an engineered assembly, made in a truss factory, that is a frame for the roof. A truss at the gable end is slightly different from the trusses that fill in inbetween the gable ends, 24 or 16 inches apart as a rule.

Rafter is a component of a roof made on site without trusses.

Slope is measured in a fraction. A 12/12 roof slope, or pitch, is a 45 degree slope and is considered steep. A pitch/slope of 4/12 is considered low or normal; 2/12 is definitely low slope pitch.

In the 2/12 example that means that for every 12 inches of horizontal distance the roof rises 2 inches.

4/12 means that for every 12 inches horizontal the roof rises 4 inches. And so on.

Look at Wagners House Framing.

Hope that helps

VTweekender
# Posted: 12 Apr 2012 20:09 - Edited by: VTweekender

Looks like a great project CaliGirl

Look through all these free plans in this link and you may pick up on a lot of things http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/extension-aben/buildingplans/housing

CaliGrlInWV
# Posted: 12 Apr 2012 20:44

@MtnDon Thanks again.

@VTweekender Thank you.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.