Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / framing question....
libby in ohio
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 21:03

Hi- I'm the art teacher building the little studio in the backyard- starting next week!

I was looking over my hand-drawn blueprints today and my dad pointed out that I would be cutting most of the ends of all my studs- which I either forgot or hadn't realized. If my walls are 10 feet on the back wall and 14 feet on the front wall, do I still need to adjust everything for my 4x8 osb sheething? One book I looked at showed me to put a 2x4 on the bottom as a plate and 2 on the top (the very top one overlaps with the adjacent wall to lock it together). So wouldn't I subtract 4.5 inches from the stud length? One book says 1.5 inches. Another says 3 inches. I'm confused.

thanks-
Libby

VTweekender
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 21:29 - Edited by: VTweekender

Libby, if you want to come out at exactly 10 and 14' walls with a bottom and double top plate you will need to cut the studs 4.5". Assuming you are using 10 and 14' studs.

each plate adds 1.5 to the height.

Martian
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 21:36

Don't forget to add blocking at the 8' height for nailing purposes.

Tom

MtnDon
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 21:43

Depends. Different ways of looking at things.

Standard traditional framing uses a single bottom plate and double top plates. If you go to buy studs for regular 8 foot walls you can but 92 5/8" studs, precisely trimmed to that length. If you add it up that's 1 1/8" longer than 96". .

What's your foundation? Here we build a lot of slabs and lift the OSB off the ground/concrete a little to help keep the lower edge dry.

I built our cabin on a pier and beam with floor joists on top of the beams. I used 9 foot long OSB sheets so I could drop the OSB down over the rim joists. Nailing them into the rim as well as the studs and plates makes a stronger wall.

You also want to think ahead to the interior. When interiors are finished the ceiling is usually installed first. Then the walls. If using 4x sheet goods like drywall that gives enough room to get the ceiling in and still lift the sheetrock off the floor to butt against the ceiling. The bottom gap is covered by base trim.

Depends.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.