Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Overwhelmed...
mojo43
# Posted: 16 Apr 2012 09:50

This will be my first cabin building experience and I have a couple of questions.

I am planning to build a 8X13.5 or a 9X12 bunkie (with a loft) on an area of land that slopes towards the water. I would like to choose a foundation that will allow me to move the bunkie later because I am not sure where we will be putting our cottage and it is most likely that we will have to move it. What would be the easiest foundation to use?

Also, I have been looking at cabin plans and ideas and I am a not sure about how I put in floor insulation? Do I put the insulation in at the beginning (before the sub floor get put in) with vapour barrier on both sides (top and bottom)?

Thanks for all of your help, I need as much as I can get

VTweekender
# Posted: 16 Apr 2012 16:18

Well Mojo, here is what I would do , if going to move it later I would build it on runners, 4x6 pressure treated runners about 3' apart running the length of the cabin, on top of the runners I would put 1/2" pressure treated plywood, then I would put 2x6 pressure treated floor joists 16" on center, then I would insulate with R-13 between the joists and vapor barrier on top, then whatever you use for subfloor on that. To get level on the slope you mention, I would either just block it up level with 2x8 cement blocks stacked, or dig down and set some 4x6 pressure treated piers, most likely I would just block it knowing I am going to move it sometime down the road.

Best of luck on your project!!

rayyy
# Posted: 16 Apr 2012 16:25

Sounds like a great little project,Mojo43.We had a company in town that built pre made sheds and barns and sold hundreds of them.I bought a 12x20 for my work place.It was brought in on a flat bed truck .They usually have you lay down a good thick number two stone base on plastic sheeting.These buildings always are 3ea) 4x4 treated timbers with a 2x6 treated floor joist base spaces 1 foot apart.Makes for a pretty strong base under it.You could sheet underneeth the 2x6 base with 1/2" treated plywood if you want to insulate it.You wouldn't need a vaper barrier in the floor.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.