Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / New to the site, siding question
jmac
# Posted: 19 Apr 2012 17:54

I am new to this site but have been looking at it for a couple of months and decided to sign up.

I am currently planning a cabin to build. Its going to be in central mississippi on 200 acres. Mainly used as a weekend hunting camp, or jus a get away for me and the wife and daughter.

I have drawn my plans and going to build a 20'x32' with 10' walls and a loft over the bedroom and bathroom. Most all of my lumber is going to be cut off of my place. I have a guy that will cut whatever i want for $180 per 1,000 BF. The only lumber i plan on buying are the treated 6x6s for the traditional foundation and osb for the walls.

So, questions;
I have plenty of big old pine trees that i can have sawed. I also have good many cedar trees and some oaks, would rather keep the oaks though. I am trying to figure out what to use for siding. Will pine work? I'm just thinkin that pine wouldnt last long. Or are there ways to treat it so it will last? Haven't decided if i want to do lap siding or do it vertically with the boards over cracks( my mind jus left and cant remember the term for that kind of siding)

Thanks for any help

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Apr 2012 18:22

board and batten--pine will work with a good stain/sealent---

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 Apr 2012 18:26

Most pine will make great board and batten siding (that's the vertical stuff). One question is how would you treat the exterior surface. Pine won't last very long unless stained or painted. Left to become naturally grey it'll "naturally" rot. Best results with stickered and air dried although there are fans of using green wood.

jmac
# Posted: 20 Apr 2012 08:19

All of my lumber will be kiln dried. And i guess that is my question, what would i treat it with? Any idea after treat it how long it would last?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Apr 2012 09:29

"in the south --they use in linseed oil, diesel fuel and burnt motor oil" mix up well ---put in a pump sprayer the type you use for spraying bug spray ( 2 gallon) and go at it..... this is so green...just sayin
no bugs---protects--no bees!!!!!!!!

Rifraf
# Posted: 20 Apr 2012 11:00 - Edited by: Rifraf

diesel fuel and burnt motor oil

wouldnt that make your house.... . . very flammable ?
make sure you replace your "no trespassing" signs with "No smoking" signs

MtnDon
# Posted: 20 Apr 2012 13:12

Siding is usually painted or stained. That keeps the water from soaking into the wood. Wood that is dry won't rot. Wood that is covered with a layer of pigment won't degrade from the sun (UV). Wood siding that touches the ground will rot, even wood too close to the ground can have that problem. So keep it off the ground and use good paint or a semi transparent stain and it will outlast the builder (if maintained).

fpw
# Posted: 20 Apr 2012 13:19

Before you stain or paint, I would use some borax and penetreat, this will minimize the bugs. Large overhangs keeps the water off.

Board and batten is great for green siding, you can cut it on the mill and nail it up the same day.
Board and Batten (Green)
Board and Batten (Green)
Aspen Siding
Aspen Siding

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Apr 2012 18:27

Quoting: Rifraf
wouldnt that make your house.... . . very flammable ?make sure you replace your "no trespassing" signs with "No smoking" signs

i know it not GREEN for some of the people on here but it works---the diesel will make it thinner where you can spray it--lots of old cabins / log and B&B siding and barns as well--- been around for years---and they still look great!!!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.