Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Minus Ten Degrees and still warm?
mojo43
# Posted: 24 Apr 2012 12:23

Hi, I am trying to plan out the construction of my 9X12 bunkie and I am wondering what options I have with concern to sleeping in it when it is -10 degrees Celcius.

Do I have to use insulation in order to keep it warm enough or are there other options?

Would thicker tongue and groove (2 inches thick) wood be enough like this person did?

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_906_0.html

Thanks in advance!

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Apr 2012 13:28

If it is -10 C outside what temperature would the interior have to be for you to be able to sleep there comfortably?

Do you intend on having any source of heating?

mojo43
# Posted: 24 Apr 2012 13:58

Sorry, I should have explained further. I will be heating the bunkie with a small wood stove or with an electric heater. I would like to have 20 degree celcius if possible.

project_north
# Posted: 24 Apr 2012 15:44 - Edited by: project_north

Yes you should definitely insulate. I've used roxul with a vapour barrier. It's not expensive and easy to do. Use Roxul if you can - less itchy than fibreglass. I have a direct vent propane heater. It's toasty inside at -10C. Oh - and the space is similar in size. 8' x 13'-6" with a loft bed.
IMGP1655.JPG
IMGP1655.JPG

mojo43
# Posted: 24 Apr 2012 15:46

I guess what I was trying to maximize space and save on having to put board up on the inside when I could potentially do it once from the outside

But, if it's going to be cold then I will insulate!

Thanks for the help!

project_north
# Posted: 24 Apr 2012 15:54

It would be very drafty and use a lot of fuel, wether it be wood or propane.

mojo43
# Posted: 24 Apr 2012 16:08

Thanks... there is so much information on this site. This post answered most of the pros and cons.

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/2_1448_0.html

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.