Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Need foundation help
hilltopdaisy
# Posted: 4 Jul 2009 12:04

Hi folks, I'm new here, just did a search and found you all!

I'm purchasing a pre-built Amish shed, 12x20', to live in while I decide on a more permanent structure. I'm in NY so lots of cold weather. I'll insulate the heck out of it. My question is ~ what would you suggest as the best foundation in this case? I don't want gravel and can't afford a concrete pad. Pre cast piers? I'm worried about the ground heaving and not being able to get the doors open! Thanks. Oh, already have water, septic and power at the site.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 5 Jul 2009 12:39

What kind of flooring the shed comes with? Is it a wooden frame + plywood/OSB?

hilltopdaisy
# Posted: 6 Jul 2009 13:01

Yes, the part that touches the ground is pressure treated 4x4's, above that is pressure treated 2x4", and the floor itself is 5/8" plywood.

I'm worried about heaving, and being unable to get in/out if the doors are crooked.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 6 Jul 2009 14:46 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

The only way I know to avoid heaving is to dig below the frost line (I would guess ~4ft in NY). Then you could use concrete or pressure treated timber posts, cinder blocks or whatever.
Given the size of your cabin, it could be a lot of digging unless you bring the digging/hole drilling equipment.

If you have a rocky terrain and can find an existing rock that large enough in the desired location, sometimes it is possible to place the entire cabin on that large rock - it may be big/deep enough (below the frost line), or will just move up and down with the frost evenly and not buckle the cabin.

That's all I can think of.

Anything above the frost line and you have to take risk of heaving. Although I have seen many structures on concrete blocks in my similar climate (Ontario) - it's not that uncommon solution in some areas.

hilltopdaisy
# Posted: 6 Jul 2009 17:39

Thanks CabinBuilder. I think I will end up with the building setting on concrete block "piers" as it's all I can afford.

Vince P
# Posted: 7 Jul 2009 10:50

Quoting: CabinBuilder
(I would guess ~4ft in NY).

It would be 3 feet for upstate NY as per my experience

islandguy
# Posted: 7 Jul 2009 14:19

Some soil types are less prone to frost heave, even when the frost line is deep. Check to see what others have done in your area. I used 200 lb concrete slabs (called mobile home leveling blocks) placed on crushed and packed gravel dug down to about 1 foot to undisturbed soil. 12 such piers support my 16x24 cabin.
Good luck.

Anonymous
# Posted: 7 Jul 2009 22:07

Hi hilltopdaisy,

Where about's in NY are you?

hilltopdaisy
# Posted: 8 Jul 2009 18:37

40 minutes north of Binghamton.

Vince P
# Posted: 9 Jul 2009 08:14 - Edited by: Vince P

Quoting: hilltopdaisy
40 minutes north of Binghamton.

That's where my cabin is. The frost line for that area is indeed 3 feet.
Vince

hilltopdaisy
# Posted: 2 Aug 2009 20:12

Vince, seriously?

OK, I made a decision, and the "cabin" is being delivered tomorrow. I made 15 "piers", started with 18"x18" pavers with blocks and 8"x16" pavers on top, on fairly level ground (3 rows of 5 piers).

Time will tell how badly it heaves out of level.......

hilltopdaisy
# Posted: 12 Aug 2010 01:08

Just wanted to update this post. The peers worked out just fine. Never had a problem with it heaving, kept plenty warm, thanks to all who've gone before me!

wildwood
# Posted: 24 Aug 2010 14:46

How do you plan on insulation below and keeping pipes from freezing? I'm from Northeast Tennessee and was thinking of doing a four foot block foundation and insulating below to protect water lines, etc. As it gets colder for longer there, I would be very interested on your plans.

mikehu1966
# Posted: 27 Sep 2012 11:20

Hi hilltopdaisy,

How has the foundation held up ? I had land in otsego county, but had to sell, bills|||| Now with the remainder $ I am purchasing another piece of land in Chenango County.

Michael

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.