Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / letting hardwood sit in cabin before install ?
Rifraf
# Posted: 4 May 2012 16:18 - Edited by: Rifraf

I've heard for a long time to let your hardwoods acclimate to the install location for about 72 hours before installing.. but what if I bought them less than 5 miles away.. arent they pretty much acclimated to the region already ?

These are actually 8 inch pine car siding straight edge, flipped over for hardwoods. Like Tim had done with his floors.

dfosson
# Posted: 4 May 2012 17:44

Temperature extremes and humidity extremes can create problems but woods purchased in the same region where stored at relatively same conditions should need less time to acclimate. When I purchased 'special order' flooring from Menard's it was shipped from Wisconsin to southern Ohio. Its impossible to know what environment the wood was stored in so acclimating was the safe bet. In my opinion, 8 inch pine car siding (same as I used on my cabin walls) should create no problems if purchased locally.

Rifraf
# Posted: 4 May 2012 19:49

Thanks,

Now im torn between glue down to plywood floor or felt paper and nailing Too many choices

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 May 2012 20:27

Rifraf...husband installs flooring for a living and i asked him what he thought. As far as acclimating it is more important during the winter when the flooring has likely been stored in an unheated storage warehouse and is then going into a warm home. Temperature extremes aren't good and neither are large humidity differences like dfosson mentioned.

His recommendation for installing was to use felt paper and nail inside the tongue. He said the felt paper will help create a vapor barrier and also acts as a sound proofer protecting against future squeaks and squawks that could form when wood is directly on wood.

Hope that helps with your decision making! Make sure you take lots of pictures-it is going to be gorgeous! I wish we were doing flooring already!

Rifraf
# Posted: 4 May 2012 20:54

Thanks Trollbridge. You know i'm a little camera fiend ill get plenty of pics

brokeneck
# Posted: 6 May 2012 16:47

nailing allows expansion and conrtaction I'd never use glue event the pergo typle floors are laid loose on the floor -- just my 2 cents --

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 May 2012 16:56

There are some wood floors that are meant to be glued down though. But in a cabin where it is unheated and then reheated over and over it is best to allow for movement. In a house with a more steady temp. it is a little different.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 May 2012 17:53

If you are close, I'd say i ts acclimated already. But its true.

I just installed engineered stuff, no glue, no nails, floats on a foam pad.
flooring
flooring

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 May 2012 22:16

Rifraf, how much did you pay per lineal foot for your car-siding? Menards has it on sale for 50 cents a LF for 8 inch. I can't recall seeing it for less within the past few months so we are gonna go for it. Thought perhaps if you got yours at Menards you could get the price difference.

dfosson or BlaineHill.......if you see this do you recall what you paid?

Hope it went well Rifraf....are you staining after you get it down?

dfosson
# Posted: 7 May 2012 20:06

Quoting: trollbridge
dfosson or BlaineHill.......if you see this do you recall what you paid?

trollbridge, that is about as cheap as it gets. I paid about $5.40/10'. Menard's runs a sale on it quarterly and that is when I always tried to buy it.

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 May 2012 10:37

That's what I thought dfosson....thanks!

Rifraf
# Posted: 8 May 2012 11:20 - Edited by: Rifraf

trollbridge, mine was 0.59 for the 8" width, and if I want to get it I can get the 6" width for 0.45

This is from a local place here called "Luckys Lumber"

I did have a lot of waste material (about 15 % )because of hard knots that had fallen out, and a few hardened lines running lengthwise on a few boards that I knew would split easy. Other than that I like the material.

Borrego
# Posted: 9 May 2012 13:55

In my 'real job' as a General Contractor, we have the floor guyslet the wood acclimate for at least 3 -7 days, some floor guys insist on longer, up to 2 weeks. On my own project, though, I am going with my gut as I am buying pine 1x8 planks and the store is in the same type of desert climate so I won't get any shrinkage like I do when I bring materials in from the coast. I got my framing lumber out there and it's like it's kiln-dried! Best lumber I've used in decades

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.