Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Floor squeeks
Rifraf
# Posted: 10 May 2012 10:53 - Edited by: Rifraf

I put in my floors (8 inch car siding) im quite happy with the appearance but for whatever reason , poor subfloor thats not t&g or perhaps I went too light on the braid nails.. I have some significant squeeks, and even a spot or two I can see move slightly if I focus pressure on the spot.

I was looking around at ways to address this and one thing I read was to go under the cabin and screw from the underside of the sub floor into the flooring material to pull it down tight. This sounds easy enough.. my floors are 3/4 and my sub floor is 5/8 so a galvanized 1 1/4 inch screw should penetrate the floor without piercing the top.

My question is, have any of you had any experience with this method? do you recommend it as a squeek killer ?

trollbridge
# Posted: 10 May 2012 12:42

Rifraf,
Did you use a felt paper or foam under your floor? I will ask my husband if he has any creative 'tricks of the trade' that may help and let you know. In the meantime I suppose it can't hurt to put in screws from underneath. I wonder if you could just do that from the top and sink the crew heads enough that a wood putty would cover them. Just a thought? I enjoyed looking at the pictures of your floor. It will be beautiful when it is done!

Rifraf
# Posted: 10 May 2012 12:52

Thanks TB.

yeah I put felt down, the squeeky areas are primarily in the first few runs down the long side of the cabin, these I put my braid nails in every 16 - 20 inches.. later I started 8 - 16 inch spacing.. I think that may be the main issue. but im just guessing. The sub floor was just plywood anyway and perhaps the braids didnt get a good hold in a few places

Im starting to think TIM had the right idea with glue and no felt. Glue + braids may have been a better method for my situation.

trollbridge
# Posted: 10 May 2012 13:13

Don't know Rifraf. Your cabin will be heated/unheated and Tim's will be his full time home so his temps and humidity will be more constant.

Chin up...You'll get your squeaks fixed and then you wont give it a second thought!!!

Rifraf
# Posted: 10 May 2012 18:20 - Edited by: Rifraf

Ill be in mine full time starting next month Sold our house. Wife got a teaching job nearby, so now I have to get it livable a.s.a.p

Well and well pump are in, septic and plumbing in a week or two, inside has to be finished enough to tolerate while I work on the rest.

ill try the screws through the underside in a few spots and see if it helps, ill let ya know

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 May 2012 20:30

Squeeeeek No MoreURL

Rifraf
# Posted: 10 May 2012 22:58

Thanks,

I wont have time to order that ( i have to get more done tomorrow) but it does give me confidence that a screw can do the trick, even if it is from underneath.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 May 2012 10:47

I used glues 3/4" T&G, nailed all over and the floating floor. No squeaks. Buit a squeak in a cabin give it character.

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 May 2012 10:54

Rifraf,
I asked my husband and he basically said either screw from bottom or top and fill hole with putty. Said too few nails is the reason so luckily you went closer together after a while.
I did not realize it would be your full time home----congratulations! No wonder you have been working so hard to get stuff done!

Rifraf
# Posted: 12 May 2012 11:45

Thanks for the info.. Replying from my cabin. Finally have my internet working here. !

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.