Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Skid foundation question
saltbranch
# Posted: 14 May 2012 21:44

Hi all,
I have aquired part of a trailer house frame and I am in the process
of setting it up @ 80" wide x 25' long.I am fabbing it with a pull point in the front of skid, so I can load on trailer and move if need too. My plan was to put a 12'x24' cabin on it. It will be a basic cabin nothing fancy with a "wet" bathroom in one corner and the rest of the cabin open. I read post in another thread about cantilver and this is whats bring up my question. Skid is 80" wide outside to outside. Foundation will be 12', so that means I will have 2'8" over the outside of the skid.
I was planning on 2x8" joists on 24"OC. Do I need to modify this, go up on size of joist? The 80" width of skid is as far asI can go width so it can be loaded up on a standard utility trailer.

Bevis
# Posted: 14 May 2012 22:46

Maybe MTNDon will chime in on this one.

saltbranch
# Posted: 14 May 2012 22:54 - Edited by: saltbranch

I guess I could weld in some 4"x4" x1/4" angle iron at 11'-?" to help support the joists. Space the angle iron to where the joist would fit tight against the angle iron, then bolt the two together. Just thinking out loud here

VTweekender
# Posted: 15 May 2012 01:41 - Edited by: VTweekender

Just throwing a thought out here, assuming the wheels of the trailer aren't over the deck height, I would just fasten 12' 4x6's every 3' across the trailer to skid up onto, then you could put the skids on the cabin along the outside edge and I would put another skid in the middle at least. Another thought is on the 24" centers on the joists, 16" would be better.

saltbranch
# Posted: 15 May 2012 08:02

I have 83"s between the fenderwheels on the trailer.The wheels do stick up above the bed of the trailer. With the I-beam frame I have for the skid, it will put the bottom of cabin over the top of the fenders. If 16" centers are better, then that is what I will do. I have worked in the oilfieled for many yrs and skidding equipment up on trailers is something we do all the time. I was worried about the over hang of the cabin/support that is past the 80" width of the skid.

VTweekender
# Posted: 15 May 2012 10:50 - Edited by: VTweekender

I would go 16 on center with the joists, it will be bouncy at 24" OC....also use at least 3/4" decking on top....if you build up the trailer above the wheels and the cabin will be sitting above the wheels then I would just run 12' 4x6 across like I suggested to set the cabin on....as for the 4x4 skids under the cabin typically they start with 1 skid dead center then work outward every 3'....the end skids can be within 8" of the edges..

saltbranch
# Posted: 15 May 2012 20:38

VT thanks for the advice on going 16" centers, will do that. Here are a couple of pics to show the type of skid I am building to build the cabin on top of. The frame I have is tall enough for the bottom of the cabin to clear/go over the trailer fenders when pulled up with a winch. With the skid like this, will the overhang of the joists need more support. The older skid mounted bunk houses were wood framed much like a trailer house/mobil home is now, but I never really paid attention to how they supported the overhang past the skid. All I see now are all metal buck houses.
redrigshackfrontend..jpg
redrigshackfrontend..jpg
100_1951_png.jpg
100_1951_png.jpg

VTweekender
# Posted: 16 May 2012 07:35

I would imagine that the overhangs are supported after it reaches destination with blocks or more skids set under....either if the bunk stays on the trailer or it is unloaded...I think it would be fine if just transporting it.....snow load or something heavy set near the outside walls would be the concern after set in place.

saltbranch
# Posted: 20 May 2012 01:47

Thanks VT for the help. I am thinking I will add some 4x4x1/4" angle iron under every 2nd or 3rd joist to help support outer edge & strengthen skid as a whole.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.