Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Do I need to use joist hangers?
jimmer
# Posted: 20 May 2012 15:03

I'm building a very small 12'x8' shack/shed, built 16" OC. It will have a small sleeping loft.

For a foundation, I'm going to use 12 of those little deck-blok/pyramid things that the joists sit directly in (the ground is level enough that I don't need to elevate it on 4x4 posts).

So, with 12 blocks, there would be a block every 3' along the 12' span.

Is this enough support for the floor joists (effectively having blocks under every other joist) or should I use joist hangers as well? For some reason I'd prefer to avoid using the hangers -- they're not expensive, but seem like just one more thing that might not be really necessary for such a small project and just take me a bit longer to get it built...

Thanks

Anonymous
# Posted: 20 May 2012 15:37

not sure if this is the correct way -- but -- without a real foundation to attach the walls to i'd essetiannly build a deck with or without the hangers and then build and attach the walls on top of the deck --like you said it would be preferable that as many of the floor joists and for that matter the studs and roof joists stack on the perimeter blocks -- i've always found the hangers easy and satisfying to use as the nails don't split the wood and carry more load. to make it easier -- measure and use a square to mark the layout and and install the hangers with the board flat on a level surface -- not after you have built the perimeter frame ...

rayyy
# Posted: 20 May 2012 18:36

Heck no,if you build the deck with 2x8 treated lumber,you'll have plenty of strength with out hangers.just use 4 of each-16 spiro galvinized deck nails per joist end.You could get away with 6 or 8 of them blocks too but 12 would be good.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.