Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Construction has begun... Mini Cabin/shed:)
spee
# Posted: 22 May 2012 11:13

Hi all,

Ive been gathering materials over the past while and have made the move to start the build!

couple weekends ago build the base, this past weekend we built the frame and the roof. Got alot done!
Used Plywood all around and used heavy duty tarp for the exterior vapor barrier.

What are you thoughts on finishing the exterior? Shingles? Smart panels?Wood? other? Doesnt have to be pretty just durable.

for the slanted flat roof, i have to cover / wiremesh/screen all the areas where the roof joists meet the walls. Do you think 2 stud spaces per wall will suffice?

Any other recommednations and comments are appreciatted!!

spee
# Posted: 22 May 2012 11:21

pics

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 May 2012 14:25

You must use blocking in between roof rafters. This would be where you bird blocks would go. The blocking keeps the rafters from trying to flip on their sides. Its eaiser to install them before roof sheating, but ding it adfterwards isnt to tough, especially if you have an air powered framing nailer.

bugs
# Posted: 22 May 2012 18:49

Hey Spee

Looking very nice. Love the old door. You got some nice windows there as well. Have you "done" the "facility"?

It appears you will have a pleasant view from your little castle.

Really looking forward to see how you "decorate" the inside of the place. Always looking for ideas. I think we have gone through 20 or more phases with our place and still tweaking things to increase storage and make things more homey errrrr small cabiney.

Not sure where you are located but something like cedar may blend in well with things. Where we are cedar seems to deter woodpeckers and the like from holing/gnawing the siding.

Anyway really looking forward to see your progress. The best of luck to you and hope you have the same number of digits at the end of the project as when you started.

bugs

Just
# Posted: 22 May 2012 22:02

gess you must have decided to just go for it spee,best of luck[what cabin]. why not just a nice coat of camo .paint is cheep ..
just

Anonymous
# Posted: 22 May 2012 22:27

Thanks all!

Yeah, going to go with something that blends into the surrounding muskoka landscape. I may have a hookup for very cheap brown shingles..( not the prettiest but will save me 200-300)

The facility is currently a port of potty from Le Baron but a proper outhouse will have to be next...

The black flies were brutal all weekend long.. i think we both got 50 + bleeding bites !!

spee
# Posted: 22 May 2012 22:33

Quoting: Just
gess you must have decided to just go for it spee,best of luck[what cabin]. why not just a nice coat of camo .paint is cheep ..
just

do you think I could get away with just painting the tarp green? to ghetto i guess looks like shingles or some sort of wood siding will do

Just
# Posted: 22 May 2012 23:04

yes brown shingals sounds good ,, you will need ether a nail gun or 4 hands to nail them on .keep us posted..

sarndt
# Posted: 27 Dec 2013 23:18

Hey spee, if your still around and have some time I would like to discuss a few things with you. I live in the GTA but I to am a land owner in the bracebridge area. you can contact me via email. ssarndt13@gmail.com.

Thanks and hope to talk to you soon.

Shawn

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.