Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / wet ground on building site
dvgchef
# Posted: 14 Jul 2009 19:46

Hey gang;
Finally began building my 12' X 12' cabin foundation in Upstate NY. Its been raining like mad here for over a month. I was hoping to dig four holes down a foot, load with gravel and use masonry filled cement block as piers.
I know its not below the frost line, but I hear this should work.

two questions:
My foundation holes filled with ground water as I was digging - I filled with gravel and this displaced the water, but should I abandon the site due to flooding? There is no history of it being a flood plain, but there are now plenty of little (6") wide rivulets coursing through the site.

The four holes are dug on 8' centers; so each hole is 8' from the other and the horizontal beam under the floor joists overhangs each hole by 2'.
The question is: I want to build a 1 1/2 story cabin with 2" X 10" flooring and 2" X 6" walls - what size should the horizontal beam be? Right now I have 3" X 10" (two 2 X 10 slapped together)

Any and all answers appreciated.

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 16 Jul 2009 00:58

Should you abandon your building site and find another....not necessarily, but maybe consider your options. If there's another location on drier ground that you'd be happy with, it would be safest to move. But if you'd rather stay where you are, then maybe you can dig a diversion ditch or french drain to direct the water away from the cabin.

Was the water seeping into the holes from the bottom? If so, was the soil at the bottom sandy/gravelly or more loam/clay? If loam/clay, I think you should dig deeper, otherwise your gravel footings might sink in during the wet season and frost heave in winter. The foundation you describe should be ok as far as frost heave IF you have well-drained soil. (If you're not sure, dig out a handful of the wet soil and squeeze it into a ball...if the ball falls apart, you're good.)

I'd add another layer to the beams...three 2x10s each.

dvgchef
# Posted: 16 Jul 2009 09:55

Thanks very much - will check those options.

I'm early enough in the building process that I can move and make drastic changes. This was the dry spot, so I may just make this a nice viewing platform!

I'm off site now, but the water is seeping from the bottom on two of the holes. Will look into all your suggestions next visit upstate.

hilltopdaisy
# Posted: 2 Aug 2009 20:05

Keep in mind that we've had WAY more rain than is normal, so you will be seeing a lot more runoff and standing water (here in NY).

dvgchef
# Posted: 2 Aug 2009 20:45

And we continue to... great for all my new trees, but everything else, yeesh! Thanks for the note, hope you're staying dry.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.