Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Raised posts?
yana
# Posted: 26 May 2012 12:33

Hi all!

I am thinking about setting my (true) 6x6 wood posts on about 3' high concrete pillars, probably made of 4 concrete blocks with concrete poured in the middle. There would be rebar in the concrete and also a bolt to attach the post.I would have to pour the concrete all the way to the frost line, right?

Does that seem like a strong enough way to do this? My cabin will be 10' x18' and pretty tall.

Any feedback?

Thanks so much!

Yana

VTweekender
# Posted: 26 May 2012 12:48 - Edited by: VTweekender

When you say 3' pillars, do you mean 3' below grade or above grade? If you want to be below the frost line and 3' above grade "both" , I think I would use sono tubes , 8 or 10" wide tubes...you can buy them in the length you will need...pour a footer in the bottom of the holes to foot the sono tubes or just throw a bag of kwikcrete in the hole and let the moisture harden it as footer... And "posts", do you mean upright? or the horizontal runners you will be building your floor joists on...yes you want to get below the frost line..... all in all it sounds plenty for a 10 x 18 to me..

yana
# Posted: 26 May 2012 14:43

Hi VTweekender!

Thanks for your feedback. Indeed, I was hoping for 3' above grade and then a vertical post of 9' on top. I have seen the look of a wider base for a post (sometimes out of stone) but wasn't sure how to tie the two together.
The idea of a sono tube about 7 feet long (it's about 4' to the frost line) with a footing makes sense to me. But then how would you attach the post to the top of the concrete? With an embedded bolt? Or embedded straps/ angles? Does that still sound strong enough to you or were you thinking of holizontal posts?
Thanks again for letting me pick your brain!
Yana

VTweekender
# Posted: 26 May 2012 15:20

Hi Yana, yes I would use a bolt like you were thinking originally, I assume these will be structure posts of the cabin? and you will be tying them together somehow ....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.