Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / roof question
saltbranch
# Posted: 28 May 2012 21:03

We are now looking at building a 10x12. If I go with a single slant(shed style) roof, does it need to be vented? Can it be insulated? Will be used throughout the summer on weekends, I want something that a 10,000 btu window unit can keep comfortable during the heat of the day.Would I be better off just spending the extra to go with a gabrel roof with ridge/soffet vents?

Chad40
# Posted: 29 May 2012 02:04

I like shed roofs myself, simple to build and strong. I am working on plans for a 16x24 with a shed roof right now. I plan to use 2x10 for rafters, plenty of strength for the span and 11" of space for insualtion. if you are worried about venting you can put styro chutes against the bottom of the roof deck to leave you some air space betwwen the bottom of roof and insulation.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 29 May 2012 10:34

You should alway have some venting, but it's not too much of an issue in a cabin as there is less moisture than a home. Cooking , showers, laundry etc, is where the bulk of that comes from. Insulation will work better than not. You didn't say how much room you have. 2x6 , 2x8 ? It would be good to get 6'' into the space either way. 6'' into 2x8 would be good and the extra space will good too. 6'' into 2x6 will work, but not as well.

Owen

saltbranch
# Posted: 29 May 2012 11:54 - Edited by: saltbranch

Can go with 2x8" or 2x10", maybe 2x10"s will be better for thickker insulaton. No water in cabin. Summers hit 100 plus.

Just reread post above. So 2x8" with insulation and styrotubes and soffit vent would do the job? I really like the look of the slant roof, especially with a porch, thats why I really want to go this route. My caprpenter skills are not very good, so the easier the better on my first one. I am think ing go with 2x4x10' for the front wall and 2x4x8's for the back wall. I am south of San Antonio, so snow is maybe every 5o yrs or so.
Thanks for the help

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.