Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Calculating Ceiling Height
MJW
# Posted: 15 Jun 2012 18:07 - Edited by: MJW

I am trying to figure how much usable space I will have for the loft in our planned build but have no idea how to make this calculation so I am hoping some of you cabin zen masters can help.

We are planning a 20 x 32 with 10' walls (so we can have the additional 2' toward the loft space) and a 8/12 roof pitch.

The planned loft will be 20 x 12 and cover the lower bedroom and bath. I don't know if this matters but it will be open with only a railing.

If someone can point me in the right direction to figuring out how to actually know how much usable space there will be I would be grateful.

Thanks!

VTweekender
# Posted: 15 Jun 2012 18:36 - Edited by: VTweekender

Well I will give it a whirl to come up with something that makes sense. You will have a rise of 8" for every 12" of span on a 8/12, so you will have a 10 foot span on your 20 wide cabin. So you will have 80" at center of the loft. That being said, you are adding another 24" from floor to top of your walls as you say, so you will have 104" at center of the loft, I would deduct for the height of your rafter (2 x 10?), leaving 94"..if 10" rafter.
The other thing to think about is exactly where you will be placing your floor joists, will they be at the 8 foot level then up? Doing that then you will have to deduct for that joist height as well from the 94", keeping in mind that 94 " calculation was from using all the 24" of extra from the 10 foot walls, meaning you would need to be putting your joists for the loft at say 7 to 7 1/2 feet to use all that 24" extra (below the 8 foot height). Hope I made sense....lol...

If you want to calculate what the height would be in different parts of the room just take you 24" you started with extra on your side walls and add 8" for every foot to the center of the loft....example is 5 feet from the side wall would be 24 + 40 = 64" would be that height...minus a 10" rafter is 54" at the 5 foot mark from a side wall.

Please note that I am not totally sure if you deduct the rafter height or not..

Kev

MJW
# Posted: 15 Jun 2012 21:40

Appreciate the assist, Kev. I was able to figure it out pretty close based on that info.

Some kind of calculator sure would be nice to find. I have been searching but so far, no joy.

Malamute
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 10:31

It's just pretty basic math.

You can use graph paper and get it very close. I've used a framing square and a piece of scrap cardboard to figure size/space/roof pitch questions. Just pick a value (1/2"=1 foot etc) and go.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.