Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Making the Cabin a Home
Resting Place
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 14:52

Hi all,

We are wanting to build a 20 x 24 "cabin" that we will make our permanent residence. I am sure others on this site have done this so i am looking for some words of wisdom from those who have succeeded in making their cabin their home. I would appreciate all thoughts and advice on all aspects from construction to things like power, heat etc...

Our plans so far are to build a basic 20 x 24 cabin 2 story cabin, similar in style to the attached photo but smaller. The main floor will have a mudroom (with 3 kids and 2 dogs that is a must ), kitchen/living room area, a half bath and a pantry/storage area. Upstairs will be three small bedrooms and full bathroom.

Septic systems run about $15,000 so we are only planning on have compost toilets for now. In all honesty i know very little about them so i would love to hear lots of opinions on how this would work on a full time basis.

We are thinking solar is the best option for power but again know very little about it and would appreciate some opinions/experience. I'm glad i found this site so i can learn as much as possible ahead of time!

Also even if you do not live at your cabin full time i would still love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you!
gg.jpg
gg.jpg

VTweekender
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 15:27 - Edited by: VTweekender

Composting toilet is fine as long as there is heat year around, they don't work at all in the cold. I like the sun-mar excel ne (non electric) model myself, but many out there.

As far as solar, it really depends on what you will be running, with 3 kids you can expect to install at least a medium system to handle everyday life, but running very conservatively, forget AC and clothes dryer all together, way to large a system to handle that, otherwise you could run all your appliances, but make sure when you put it together you make it expandable for the future. As example, install larger controller and inverter than needed to get started, and buy only quality stuff, look around at backwoodssolar.com as those guys are great. I would say you would need to start with 1,000 watts in panels to get started and be able to run fridge, TVs, microwave, etc..etc..on a conservative basis.

Propane cook stove...

Get a wood stove and your set to roll!!

Resting Place
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 17:55

Thanks VTweekender. I plan to need power for lights, to charge laptop, cellphone etc... and small kitchen appliances (blender juicer etc...). For a fridge i am debating over propane or electric... any thoughts? We wont be having a TV or microwave. I am not too concerned about laundry... i can always wash by hand and hang to dry Any idea what type of system we should go with based on this?
Quoting: VTweekender
make sure when you put it together you make it expandable for the future.

I am glad you said that. Great advice!

VTweekender
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 19:10 - Edited by: VTweekender

RP, a 200 watt system would most likely take care of those small needs, 200 watt panel/20 amp controller/1000 watt modified wave inverter + 200 amp hour (AH) deep cycle battery.....but I would go with a 45 + amp controller and a 3000 watt inverter right off the bat, then you can just add panels and another battery for double battery bank to it if needed, but if you don't and want to put more panels later, then you will have to buy a new controller and inverter again at that point, thats what I mean about future use.

Just for reference, a regular size fridge will need a 500 watt panel array just for that if you go that route.

Those little 10" LCD TV's only use about 20 watts per hour, you could have one of those for a few hours a night of antenna TV on that 200 watt system too.

4 hours average good sunlight on 200 watt panel = 800 watts day

2 bulbs at 25 watts each for 4 hours day uses 200 watts
charge laptop estimate 200 watts
small appliances 10 minutes each daily estimate 150 watts
charge cellphone estimate 50 watts

leaves 200 watts left....

Anonymous
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 21:48

Lol, before you plan on doing laundry by hand for a family. Do it a few times. I think you will change your mind. All your major appliances should be propane if you plan on using solar.

Malamute
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 23:22 - Edited by: Malamute

The systems are probably much better now, but I built a system that used two 65 watt seimens panels first, inverted everything to 120v because of the location of the panels and power shed in relation to the cabin, and the system couldn't begin to keep basic things going. I added 4 more panels, and it still was very limited on what it would do. It still required the use of a generator to run the well pump. When I sold it, one of the first things the buyers did after staying at it a couple times was to get regular grid power and sell all the solar stuff.

Solar sounds good in theory, but living with it, after investing the money isnt always what you think it will be. I'm not sure I'm very interested in it any more. It would take a decade or more to begin to be cost effective, I use very little power, but sure do like my ac, and being able to run the water in the yard as much as I like for next to nothing in electric costs.

Resting Place
# Posted: 19 Jun 2012 10:27

VT - Thank you for that info. It is greatly appreciated. When looking at solar panels are there certain kinds that are better than others? What should be looking for?

Anonymous - LOL I appreciate the caution I have done laundry by hand before so i have an idea of what to expect. This project for us is not just about the building but more about the lifestyle. I really want to get back to basics so to speak. My plan is to wash with this

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Goods___Laundry___Washing___Pressure_Handwasher___1 152405?Args=

for now and eventually upgrade to this

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Goods___Laundry___Washing___Lehman_s__Laundry_Hand_ Washer___32823315?Args=

I am somewhat of (ok i am completely ) a minimalist so it is not like we will be doing 5 loads of laundry every week.

Since we are on the hand washing topic has anyone else on here done it? If you have i would love to hear your experience even if it was a bad one! My husbands grandmother is 99 and still lives on her own. She just got her first electric washing machine last year. Before that she was doing it by hand!! Kind of an inspiration.

Malamute - Thanks for the advice i will definitely continue to do my research. Hydro probably will not be an option where we are building so i think solar is the best way to go.

VTweekender
# Posted: 19 Jun 2012 10:55 - Edited by: VTweekender

RP, right now there is a shortage here on panels because the chinese have been curbed from flooding the US market as they have been for the last couple years, so prices are going real high at the moment, probably not the time to buy if you are looking at imported panels. But there are quality panels out there in stock at about the same prices they have been for a while, Sharp makes a good 12V panel but pricey...look around at backwoodssolar.com and solarblvd.com...both good reliable sellers. 12V or 18V panel will probably be what you want, the 18V will work same as 12V on your 12V system. The 24V panels you would have to set the system up differently.
A lot of people waiting for these 145 panels to come back in stock at $160 and free shipping ( I think free) http://astore.amazon.com/newworldsolar-20/detail/B007VPQP5Q ...sometime between tomorrow the 20th and the 25th this month....he also has everything else you would need in his amazon store...seems to be a good seller...

Resting Place
# Posted: 20 Jun 2012 11:53

Awesome! Thank you VT i really appreciate all the information

Dillio187
# Posted: 20 Jun 2012 11:59 - Edited by: Dillio187

the NAWS forum is really helpful when setting up solar systems. The first thing they'll tell you is to figure out what your loads will be, and work backwards from there.

here's the URL if you're interested. Generally a good group over there.

http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/forum.php

I would personally scratch using any 12V panel, and buy higher voltage grid tied panels. Use an MPPT charge controller and the voltage of the panels doesn't matter, and the grid tied panels are cheaper.

luther
# Posted: 21 Jun 2012 18:23

Hello RP, I recently installed a commercial composting toilet in my cabin and I think it works great. The previous post concerning the need for heat is correct, but as you mentioned that you and your family will be living in the cabin full time heat shouldn't be a problem.

I looked at the Sunmar excel line and compared it with the Envirolet self contained waterless series. Both seem to be decent products. I went with the Envirolet MS (which is a AC model) they also make a non-electric and DC powered versions.

Good luck

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.