Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Digging holes.. rocks, what to do?
bobbotron
# Posted: 19 Jun 2012 10:07

So we have our sonotube holes dug to 3 to 4 feet each. We've hit a big rock at the bottom of each hole - trying to decide what to do about it. I've thought about renting a 35 pound jackhammer and breaking them up in the hole to get them out... anyone gone this route or have other suggestions?

exsailor
# Posted: 19 Jun 2012 11:06

You could dig down to them drill holes, and epoxy rebar set at angles for holding power. You would have to make larger than average holes for working room. That would anchor the sontube to the boulder making it part of the foundation. Then back fill around the sonotubes after the forms are set. You might be hitting a solid shelf or just a lot of big boulders.

bobbotron
# Posted: 19 Jun 2012 11:37

Yeah, it's hard to tell how big some of these are. Some might be the beginning of a shelf, others I'm pretty sure are 100 pound obnoxious rocks. Big enough to be a real pain to get out of the ground, but small enough to be a little small to call a footing.

bobbotron
# Posted: 27 Jun 2012 14:06

I think we're going to anchor the sonotubes to the boulders via rebar, nuts to trying to get those rocks out!

TomChum
# Posted: 27 Jun 2012 15:06

How big is this cabin?
How many holes?

Rocks at the bottom of "each" hole is better than "some". One could assume that below the rock the soil is un-disturbed.

AYP1909
# Posted: 27 Jun 2012 17:05

Adding to TomChum's comments, having 3 to 4 feet of concrete on top of big rocks sounds sufficient to support a small cabin. If you are planning on something larger, or several stories high, Exsailor's comments for anchoring to the rocks are well spoken. I wouldn't waste my effort on removing this solid footing.

bobbotron
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 10:02 - Edited by: bobbotron

Thanks for the replies guys.

The cabin is 16' x 22', one story with a loft on one end. 10 sonotubes, 4 on each 22' side, 1 in the middle of the 16' ends. We're doing 12" sonotubes, they're pretty stout. Very sandy soil, which I hear is good for drainage. Even after a big rainstorm, it's dry up there after a day.

fpw
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 18:52

call it good move on. Rocks will be fine.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.