Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Skirting the cottage.
CB
# Posted: 19 Jun 2012 20:02

Our cottage is from 2 to 3 feet (from back to the front) above ground. We'd like to skirt around it for aesthetic and insulation purpose...

What would be a good way to build the base, among what I can think of:

1. build a wooden base with PT 6x6 along the perimeter, on top of and back filled with gravel.
2. build a concrete base around, digging down to bedrock 2' below surface.

Would #1 be acceptable in Ontario weather?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 19 Jun 2012 21:57

I am thinking about using a product that is made of 2" thick foam with a stucco finish on one side...it is made for skirting and can be buried 12" into the soil...looks good and insulates too.

CB
# Posted: 19 Jun 2012 22:19

Sounds like what we need. What is that called? and would it survive critter chewing?

Thanks

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 20 Jun 2012 10:28

Trouble, it's all trouble in frost country. I have made slip joint framing, but there is going to be movement. Just go to a trailer park in the spring and see all the crumpled skirting.

Owen

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 20 Jun 2012 10:54

I am in sandy gravely soil and it works great....no movement in 15 yrs. I think if you were in clay soil it maybe an issue but I have seen it in a number of places here in Wisconsin and so far in all soil types it looks great and performs great. It is common practice here in all parts of the state no mater the soil.

CB
# Posted: 21 Jun 2012 09:43

I think we still need a frame for the stucco panel to hang on. What would be an acceptable for the base of that frame: PT wood or concrete (as in my original question).

Thanks.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 21 Jun 2012 11:23

I just skirted mine with pressure treated plywood and sunk it 2 ft into the ground, attached the foam to that and backfilled with the sandy soil I had dug out in the first place.
Not sure if you can see the skirting..it is 1 ft high on one side and 3ft on the other
Not sure if you can see the skirting..it is 1 ft high on one side and 3ft on the other

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.