Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Concrete piers - what to put between pier and cabin base?
bobbotron
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 14:47

I've read that concrete/wood contact should be avoided when possible, as the wood will degrade over time due to the contact with the concrete. I didn't bother with this when I built my shed, but I'm pondering it for the cabin. Is it worth putting a layer of plastic or galvanized sheet metal down between the beams and the concrete?

Anonymous
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 15:19

We used a piece of asphalt shingle laid on the concrete pier over the Simpson brace to keep the wood beams from touching the concrete.

AYP1909
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 16:00

Ground-contact rated pressure treated wood is ideal.

Malamute
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 21:08

A piece of sill seal works fine also. It's the foam roll used under sill plates when building on a foundation.

bobbotron
# Posted: 29 Jun 2012 11:04

I was considering sill seal! A shingle is also a great idea.

Good call, when I order the wood, I'll make sure the PT base is rated for ground contact.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.