Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Good detailed plans for a beginner?
shnnnh
# Posted: 30 Jun 2012 14:58

I purchased plans for a 12x12 prospector's cabin because it's the right footprint for my site and I like the loft. But the plans consist of just framing drawings and a basic lumber materials list, not including sheathing, roofing, fasteners, siding, etc. As I start to try to re-draw the plans to accommodate the salvaged windows I already have, I am becoming concerned that the plans are not detailed enough for me to be able to actually figure out how to build from them.

So I guess my question is, would it be better to buy a plan of different dimensions than I actually want and re-scale them, and if so which plans might be more suitable for a novice builder?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 30 Jun 2012 17:14

Plans? That's a new one. Just start. You'll be fine.

Owen

VTweekender
# Posted: 30 Jun 2012 17:27 - Edited by: VTweekender

Owen is right, you most likely would be fine.....but if you do need something more to look at you could get these plans for this cabin as you get his "how to" book with the plans and inexpensive. http://www.easycabindesigns.com/16cawplpablm.html ....

Not all his plans come with the "how to"...but this particular one of his cabin plans it comes with it....its also sold seperately on the site if you wanted another cabin plan.

rayyy
# Posted: 1 Jul 2012 05:17

Notta problem,Shnnnh,We're here to help yah too.Modifying your plan's to accomodate your windows will be easy,No need to search for somthing else.This will be a very nice project for you.Fun to build.

Retired
# Posted: 1 Jul 2012 13:26

buy a framing book at Lowe's it will get you through it.

neb
# Posted: 1 Jul 2012 16:39

Quoting: OwenChristensen
Plans? That's a new one. Just start. You'll be fine.

Owen

X2

shnnnh
# Posted: 3 Jul 2012 08:33

Good tip, VTweekender, thanks, and thanks to all for the encouragement!

I have been referencing my plan's drawings against the Fine Homebuilding article on the anatomy of a stud-framed wall and it's starting to make sense, or at least now when I read the words king, jack, and saddle, I don't just think of a card game on horseback!

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 3 Jul 2012 09:23

I drew my plans on a napkin....if you know framing basics you will be just fine...If I can do it, anyone can!

rayyy
# Posted: 3 Jul 2012 16:26

You just got to realize that from the very edge of the wall to the center of the next stud is 16 inches,to the center of the next stud is 32 inches,to the center of the next stud is 48 inches.Then you just keep going 16 inch incerment's till you get to the last stud.Just think about the fact your sheet that your gonna nail on those studs is 4 feet wide then the next one is 4 feet wide and so on.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.