Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Gutters
luther
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 19:20

Hi, just looking for some advice. I plan on installing rain gutters on my cabin but I am concerned that sliding snow will rip them off. My cabin is 20 x 20 and has a 12/12 pitch roof. Has anyone had similar issues or concerns and if so what did you do?

Cheers

Luther

Kudzu
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 20:43

Are you trying to catch and store the water? If not, the heck with gutters.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 20:52

If you use the solid plastic gutter covers (Lowes, Home Depot) the snow should slide over. These covers allow water entry, and do an okay job of keep leaves, etc. out, helping to filter rain water.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100051459/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053 &langId=-1&keyword=gutter+covers&storeId=10051&superSkuId=203005113

luther
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 21:33

SE Ohio, thanks for the tip. that should work.

Kudzu, I do not plan on catching rain water but my entrance door is under the eve and having no gutter is wet and annoying.

Thanks for the info.

Malamute
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 23:49 - Edited by: Malamute

I fixed some gutters that had snow overload issues. I made some 1/2" CPVC tubes the correct length as the inside of the gutter and used large gold torx screws or oly log screws about 1 1/2"-2" longer than the depth of the getter I was going through so they'd catch solid wood of the sub-facia, not just the cedar facia, pre-drilling the gutters before running the screws in. I put them about every 2-3 feet I think. The factory brackets weren't doing the job.

hattie
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 00:50

We get lots of snow here so don't have any gutters. It isn't recommended in our area. We also have a metal roof and when that snow lets loose it is like an avalanche. I don't think gutters could handle that kind of snow. I know there are ways to slow down the snow slides from a metal roof, but we just went gutter free.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.