Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / What size cabin?
jamesstamper1
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 07:21

First consideration is what size cabin to build. And if you ask 1000 people what size they would choose, you will probably get 1000 different answers. But that's the beauty of building a cabin. You can build it to fit you instead of trying to adapt your needs to fit the cabin.

Having lived "full time" in several RV campers and one room cabins, I have learned over the years that a 16x24 with a loft is just about perfect for any 1 person or couple. Anything larger than that is just a waste of money in my opinion (unless there are several children).

I've spent the last 4 months in a 40 year old 8x16 camper while I build a 24x32 cabin. And yes, it is a waste of money to build that large for just 2 people. But its cheaper than a divorce, lol. And I still intend to build a 16x24 cabin at the other end of the property as a guest house for children and grandchildren to use when they come for a visit. And, if we ever do divorce, we can split the property right down the middle and she can have her 24x32 while I get the 16x24 which was all I wanted to build in the first place.

But getting back on topic, take the time to research what a cabin can offer you in terms of functionality and comfort. I found an article in Mother Earth News about a 14x20 cabin with a loft (complete with building plans) that was really nice. And I'm sure there are countless websites with free cabin plans online.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 07:31

24 ft x 36 ft gets my vote....

flyrdr
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 07:48

I'm looking at land in either NH, ME or VT. Won't be in a position to do anything for a year or two though. I do know that in NH a "recreational cabin" needs to be 400 sq ft or under. I don't know if that means the foot print or of a second floor or loft is included. I've been doing some cad drawings of various floor plans and designs, making up some rudimentary materials lists and checking lumber prices to see what it would cost for a weather tight shell. Right now I'm leaning towards a 16 x 20 with a loft and maybe a tiny bedroom on the main floor. That leaves room for a 8 x 10 addition to be added later and still be within 400 sq ft as long as a loft doesn't count as floor space. If it does I'd eliminate it from my design.

BlaineHill
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 09:36

There are so many factors that go into choosing cabin size. Local building codes, cost, distance from your main residence, number of construction helpers available, vehicle access to the cabin site, and on and on. We all weight these things in our own way to come up with something that is ideal for our unique situation.

All of those things aside though, I agree with you about the 16x24 being the sweet spot. There is something about those dimensions that look proportionally correct. I think somewhere around 16x24, the perception becomes less of a single-use (bunk house) and more of a multi-use structure (cooking, sleeping, eating around a table, visiting by the fire, etc). And those are the things that capture our imaginations.

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 09:06

Interesting question, and you are right about, ask a 1000 get 1000 answers. Even during the building process everone seems to have a different opinion for the structure being built. Ultimately size comes down to requirements and preferences. Our Shabin is 10 X 20 with a 10 X 12 loft and a 6 foot porch wrapping three sides. We converted a 9 foot section of the porch into a bathroom. There is also a 3 foot crawl space under the 10 X 20 living area.

If left with just he living area the building would have the (bunk house) feel. However with the porch the structure has turned into a comfortable cabin that will sleep 4-6. In our case the porch is really the main room for gathering and socializing. However I have to admit that bumping the interior foot print to 12 X 24 with the wrap around porch would provide more storage options.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 10:16

It is not the size. It is how you use the space. Start by writing down activities you'll do there. Put down people that will be using it. If your area is cool enough to use the porch as living space and that doesn't count toward the 400sf limitation then think about that.

Next start drawing out 8x8 (or 10x10) sqaures on the page. Or even circles. Put down one for each room/activity. Start moving things around so that the flow works, so that you can make spaces work for a couple different activities, make sure the views and sun path are accounted for.

We studied the land for a bit. We wanted to take advantage of the south exposure for heat in the winter. We also wanted views to that same side. We also moved things around so plumbing was close together.

For us we tried to elimate bedrooms where possible. Since bedrooms seem least used we made bunk areas instead of space hogging bedrooms.

There are ton of SMALL ideas out there now a days, but remember your site, needs, etc are unique.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 10:20

If the second story counts toward living space; just don't add it now.

We pitched our roof 13/12 and left the 2x12 rafters exposed. Then we put 2x6 tg boards on top of the rafters. You could do this and cut a hole to the loft later.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.