Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Rain Water Tank Color??
Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 09:46

I have the Opportunity to get a 250 gallon verticle water tank and I have a choice of colors. Green, black, natural or blue. What do you all think will be the best color in reguards to holding rainwater?? The tank would be positioned on the west side of the cabin in afternoon sun....thanks

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 14:45

If you are using for shower then go with dark. It will help warm the water. Hopefully not too warm...

TomChum
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 15:21

Thought you were looking for recommendations like mauve or desert gooseberry of which I would be zero help at. I only know how to choose colors to look classical.

Or in this case utilitarian. Choose Black. Exclude all light to prevent growth of algae and other things. And for the preheating.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 18:05

TC you are always the card....First you call me a "girl" now this...LOL
I think I will go black...cuz you know what they say... "once you go......." Now thats funny!
Seriously though...your right it will be for a shower and sinks which will help my hot water heater along...

dvgchef
# Posted: 10 Jul 2012 15:59

Black sounds best but I seem to remember that blue keeps out the most bacteria.

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Jul 2012 16:26

Definitly not the natural; lets light through and that promotes algae growth.

As for the other colors ask the mfg if they all are dark enough to prevent algae growth. Potential algae growth is a bigger concern tan what color will give you the most warm water. IMO.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 13 Jul 2012 18:22

Quoting: MtnDon
bigger concern tan what color will give you the most warm water

Will that mean I will never have cold water???
Either way I am excited to have some form of water...now it jsut has to rain to fill er up!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.