Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cocnrete tutorials/tips
bobbotron
# Posted: 10 Jul 2012 12:06

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to mix some concrete for sonotubes. Been a while since I've done concrete, I was wondering if you guys had any tips for getting the right ratio of water. What are some good heuristics for telling if I have the right amount of water in my mix? I know it shouldn't be a soupy mess, but I have a hard time telling if it's on the dry side or just right.

bobbotron
# Posted: 10 Jul 2012 13:13

I'm planning on using a empty coffee cup with the top cut off to do slump tests with. If it slumps by a 1/4 to 1/3 the height of the cup, I believe this is about right?

TomChum
# Posted: 17 Jul 2012 12:34 - Edited by: TomChum

Hi Bobbo, you can do a test but I don't think it's that critical. Those tests are for publix worx projects, where the $ is endless (taxpayer money) and the liability too. Sounds like an easy test though.

I just pat it down, see if the butter comes up. You are pouring concrete in a hole, for loadbearing and for weight. I think you will have it figured out by the 2nd wheelbarrow (and many to come, judging by the size and # of holes!). Your foundation, with big holes, down to rock, will be very very strong.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.