Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Starting a 10' x 16' tomorrow
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 10 Jul 2012 20:18

It will be a simple one. T1-11 siding, 5/12 over 3/12 trusses, five single hung vinyl windows, chimney, home made wood door and a 6' x 16' deck.
It will look like this;

Owen
10 x 16
10 x 16

neb
# Posted: 10 Jul 2012 21:05

Keep us updated on the progress. How long will it take you finish it up??? Oh ya will it be finished inside???

trollbridge
# Posted: 10 Jul 2012 22:09

Owen, where do you get to build this one?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 10 Jul 2012 23:09

It's going to Nickerson on Hwy 23 south of Duluth 30 miles. I'm just doing it as a shell. My part will be done by Fri night.

owen

neb
# Posted: 10 Jul 2012 23:18

That is fast!!! It helps when you are a pro.!!!!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 10 Jul 2012 23:36

I have a good helper. I use all air nailers. And I've built a lot of buildings in the last thirty five years.
Big news for me though. I'm thinking of going back to my union vocation I had thirty five years ago. Heavy equipment operator. One and a half more years and I'll be vested in the retirement pension. Yeah I'm old , but I'm in good shape and I can easily do this.

Owen

Dillio187
# Posted: 11 Jul 2012 13:45

Nickerson, my neck of the woods!

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Jul 2012 15:11

Quoting: OwenChristensen
One and a half more years and I'll be vested in the retirement pension. Yeah I'm old , but I'm in good shape and I can easily do this.

Follow your heart Owen...Oh, and by the way....YOU ARE NOT OLD so zip it!!!!!!!!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Jul 2012 17:55

thats a great looking cabin.i think u will do great at your ole new job.good luck.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 11 Jul 2012 18:11

Floor, walls and siding is done. On my way out for my anniversary diner and car show.

Owen

neb
# Posted: 11 Jul 2012 20:22

We want some pictures!!!! I looks like you will be done by Friday.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 11 Jul 2012 23:21

Ok I'll take a camera. I just bought a cheap cell phone without one.

Owen

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 12 Jul 2012 16:21

I use all air nailers. And I've built a lot of buildings in the last thirty five years.

Owen, I need advice...I am putting up 3/8" beaded ply on a porch ceiling then painting it light blue...question is, I would like to use my air nailer for the first time and I'm not sure what to use to attach it to the ceiling rafters??? I have a framing nailer and a 2" 18 gauge brad nailler??? Or should I just use screws??

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 12 Jul 2012 16:32

I'd worry about the brad nailer having enough hold. I have used a 2'' gal ring shank for that type of work. Yes the nails show, but the cieling has got to stay up. If you follow a nice pattern, no one will critize your work. Screws hold the best , but are not needed and don't look any better.

Owen

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 12 Jul 2012 16:35 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I got home early this afternoon. I'm so old and forgetful. I forgot the roof sheathing. Only could find enough work for three hours. We did get trusses built and up and gable ends sided. I'll go out to the shop and build the door this afternoon.

Owen

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 12 Jul 2012 16:36

Screws hold the best , but are not needed and don't look any better

Screws it is!! I'd rather screw overhead than nail.... plus if I ever need to get up in there to run wires or something I can! Thanks!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 13 Jul 2012 18:15

I failed to finish this week. I was home by noon though and all I have left is to hang the door and install the five windows. It can wait until Mon. It's only a couple hour job. Here it is at noon today.

Owen
fr. right
fr. right
inside
inside
inside
inside
fr. left
fr. left

neb
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 14:34

Awesome I just about missed this post. Where were you when I biult my shack!!! Looks really good and was put up in a hurry!!! When I built mine I did some wood cutting with chainsaw. No power but did almost all cutting at home and pascked everything in by foot and it was a challenge. Where I had to make some cuts I taped where I had to cut and things went well. Well put it this way it has character not perfect but is just fine. Great job!!!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 20:04

Thanks neb. I had to use a Honda gen 2000 to build here too.

Owen

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Jul 2012 09:23 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

My part is done. It's a shell. He can move in and bunk there instead of a tent.

Owen
10x16 shell
10x16 shell

neb
# Posted: 21 Jul 2012 16:04

Looks good!!!!! That is basically what I did also But yours looks a lot better then mine. I stay at mine and is very primitive but you can make a shell very livable and way better then a tent. Thanks for sharing and you do great work//

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.