Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / hey, soon to be building need advice.
timberman
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 23:01

hello everyone, i'm about to start building a 16 x 16 cabin in a few weeks. i'm really naive when it comes to carpentry work and will be for the most part,doing this on my own. my question is related to the foundation. i orginally intended just using a bunch of deck blocks but i think my land may be too soft for this(im from central louisiana). So i'm thinking i should dig into the harder soil and cement post in the ground . As what kind of post i need to use and how many i'm lost. advise please?

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 16 Jul 2012 09:52

There is a great episode about this old house where they were setting houses in New Orleans on piers. They took full lenght telephone poles and drove them in the ground (like butter too!). The goal was to hit something solid. You won't have to go 40 feet deep, but you'll need to know what kind of soil you are really dealing with.

Call a handful of excavators in the area and inquire how much, but more importantly how they ensure a long lasting foundation in the soil type. You may not use them, but the information is worth the call! They'll likely give you an idea of what you're about to tackle.

Great job taking the time to stop and ask questions. We took longer researching how to build than we spent building. It seems safer that way...

VTweekender
# Posted: 16 Jul 2012 11:50 - Edited by: VTweekender

I agree with CabinCalls, best to do research before making large mistakes.

As for your foundation, it does depend on some factors, like number of stories, the intended beams on top the foundation etc..etc..

But here is what you will be safe with and will last>

3 rows of piers, rows 8' apart, posts 4' apart = 15 piers

Use 6x6 foundation grade treated 8' posts.

Go 4' down and pour a 10" thick and about 16" diameter concrete footer with rebar . Let those cure for a few days before setting posts on top.

Backfill the posts with the same dirt that came from the hole, tamping/packing the dirt down with something heavy about every 6-8" of fill all around the post. You will have plenty of post above grade left to cut/level for your beams...

Across the top of the 3 rows atatch 6x6 treated beams (two 8" beams each row of piers..= 16'

Now on top of the beams you can install your floor joists...

timberman
# Posted: 16 Jul 2012 19:47

i mean see houses on bricks all the time. it's just the field i plan on building on has soft ground. i rather ram post into the ground than build a foundation or take a chance with deckblocks

Borrego
# Posted: 16 Jul 2012 22:13

VT weekender said it right.
+1
You could use treated telephone poles as well....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.