Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Need advise. 16x20 or 20x20?? Your experience?
Spudmasher1
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 13:14

If you have done this before I would like your advise. What size do I build?

My gut tells me to always build bigger. I have planned a cabin and I am now ready to start foundation work, buying material and getting started but I am still unsure of the right size of cabin for me.

The cabin will be used for weekend get-aways just 7 miles from home, for my son and I (maybe but most likely not mom too) for hunting and when we are out cutting wood for the wood stove. We heat with wood for the most part. The cabin will be set in and "L" shaped pasture in the middle of 100 acres of mixed timber/pasture ground in Iowa. No electric, no running water, wood stove for heat. Planning on year round use, even more use in winter with hunting then summer.

My floor plan includes door on the center south with wood stove to the right (east), bunks or beds alone the north wall and kitchen to the west. Dining table and seating area center. Windows on all four walls. Wrap around 3 sided porch can be added later, not part of the footprint now.

So my question to those of you who have done this before, do I go bigger 20 x 20 now or stay with the 16 x 20?

Martian
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 13:21

You aren't looking at much difference in building cost between the two, but the extra room could be priceless.

Tom

VTweekender
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 14:11 - Edited by: VTweekender

I only did 1 cabin before with a friend on his fathers land. Same idea, no electric or water and a wood stove for heat, I think we went 10x16 if I remember right 30 years ago. It was big enough for us 2 with a little table, a chair and 2 bunks, but when a couple family and friends wanted to come as well on weekends, we were in close quarters with 4 or 5 people. We didn't think of that at the time, should have went bigger.

Spudmasher1
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 14:11

Martian you are correct, not much cost difference at all.

Spudmasher1
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 15:53

Has anyone built a 16 x 20 then wished you would have built it 20 x 20?

Livefree
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 15:58

Me and my boyfriend live in a 12x16 cabin with a 4 ft porch. Same thing as you, off grid ,no water or electricity. I would say we are petty happy with our size, however maybe the little extra space in case your wife decideds to go would be better. Nothing wrong with a little extra space, better then not enough.
Also I STRONGLY recommend a loft for sleeping, such a space saver and also offers a little bit of privacy.

Spudmasher1
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 16:01

Wow 12 x 16 seems sooooo small to me. The loft is a good idea but out because of knee problems and with the wood heat it seems 150 degrees when 80 below.

I'm planning on 6 or 8 feet for the porch. This will help make the cabin seem bigger when nice outside.

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 16:12

My suggestion would be to build 20x20.

My reasons are because the cost difference will be minimal and you will have an easier time fitting your dining/ living area into the center space. Working with a square shape will give you more options for furniture placement and more flexibility in keeping a safe distance from your wood stove too. Can it work with a 16x20 sure-but I don't think you will regret having the extra space!

Spudmasher1
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 16:27

There's the word! Regret! Will I ever regret building bigger? I don't think so and it will never cost less to rebuild it.

Thanks I'm back to working on the 20x20.

Martian
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 16:35

Quoting: trollbridge
I don't think you will regret having the extra space!

TB, you do have a way of making everything clear and concise.

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 17:05

I was thinking especially with his young son and maybe (?) more some day-not to scare you spudmasher - but it is nice not to be too crowded where there is a wood stove in operation.

rayyy
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 18:28

Mine is a 20 x 30 but it is almost to big.I think 20 x24 would be doable for a nice size cabin.Having a 12 x 14 kitchen,12 x 6 bathroom and a 12 x 20 great room for bed/living room combo would work for you.

Spudmasher
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 18:41

I know mine will be one big room, open floor plan. Building it like the cabin I remember as a kid. I just wish I knew the demotions of it but its long gone and just a memory.

TB do you know something I don't (more kids)?

Rayyy you're the first I've heard other then a brother say your cabin is too big. I do understand, I want a cabin not another home.

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 19:22 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: Spudmasher
TB do you know something I don't (more kids)?

LOL... He ask as I sit here wondering how it is that I am pregnant again!!!

Martian
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 21:22

as I sit here wondering how it is that I am pregnant again!!!

Don't they have sex ed in Wisconsin?

Tom

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 21:26

How big can you build and still be welcome on the small cabin forum?
That's the question.

Owen

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 21:31

What is a good size for some will be too big/small for others.

Our experience would indicate 20x20 would be better than 16x20 for us.... but we have 16x30 and that works well for two of us. That is part time recreational use, not full time living. We would be unhappy, or at least not as happy, if we tried to live in that space as full time. Not enough space for laundry, off season clothing and equipment, privacy when wanted, etc.

Bevis
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 21:59

I sit here wondering how it is that I am pregnant again!!!

Need me to explain that to you...NO it's not from kissing !

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 22:30 - Edited by: trollbridge

Can I blame it on.....ummmm......the cabin??? It is, after all, a really fun place to hang out!!!

Martian...maybe the sex ed here isn't very clear and concise!

Bevis...you already offered to deliver the baby...you are much too generous!lol

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 06:42

I shouldn't say this , but our yougest is a direct result of a weekend at the cabin. She's eight years younger than our third. Yeah, she just is turning 21 and I did get on SS before she left to get her own place just a few days ago.

Owen

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 10:33

OOOPS!!! But you wouldn't change it for the world I bet!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.