Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / South Alabama
disonandmaci
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 16:35

I'm beginning to plan a small cabin for a get-away in south Alabama possibly living in it if the economy keeps going down. I'm thinking a loft would be a good idea for the kids to sleep but I'm worried about how hot a loft can get in the summer and in the winter if we're using a woodburning heater. Would some type of windows up there cool it off enough to sleep? Any ideas?

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 15:02

Welcome and happy planning!

I would recommend as steep of a roof as you can manage with windows on each end to get a cross breeze going. Also ceiling fans will help circulate the air.

Best of luck to you

Sustianusfarm
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 15:52

Sometimes in the winter it will get really hot in our loft area... We have windows in the gables as well as 2 skylites that open. If you can close off the loft with an insulated curtain that helps control the heat up there as well. Summertime is a different story... We have window AC units that control that!

disonandmaci
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 17:02

Thanks! I had thought about the clestory (probably didn't spell it right) design. Or a shed roof with high windows. Would one be less expensive than the other?

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 17:17

I like the idea of the clerestory windows too-especially if you have them opposite each other for a cross breeze.

What size cabin are you thinking? Will you be shaded by trees at least? Electricity? I would think that the issue you are going to have is that darn high humidity. Ick!

I couldn't tell you which roof type is cheaper to build but somebody here should have an idea. Keep asking questions!

Martian
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 18:02

Having lived in LA (Lower Alabama), TB is correct in assuming its the humidity that'll get you. If you mount an A/C up high in the loft, everybody will be cool.

A shed roof is usually cheaper to build than a ridge or hip roof.

If you are going to air condition, insulation is your friend. That means use 2X6 studs and, if you have cathedral ceilings, the widest rafters you can afford.

Tom

disonandmaci
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 18:32

We'll have shade and electricity but I'm planning for possible power grid failure. So, I want to design for optimal use of cross breezes. Not sure the size but at least. 16 x20. We'll be building as we have cash to do so. I would like to build a room and add on as we can afford it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.