Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Things that worry me.
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 07:47 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Here's a list of things I've either done wrong or see as a problem.

Please add your observations too.
The first is, not having the weight of the cabin on top of a foundation post. Carrying the weight on bolts is worrysome.
Dirt or clay balls on the bottom of post holes. I had a Bobcat post drill hole so deep I couldn't clean out the bottoms. Concrete was comming and I poured them anyway. When I came back the posts had sunk on their own. I pushed them all down with the weight of the diesel truck and it all worked out.
Additions to cabins on skids. Most often this causes differential movement and damage that can only be repaired with a new support system.
I like T&G panneling , but there's thousands of hidding spots for flies.
Lofts are hot. Winter or summer, there's very few nights where the loft is comfortable. Good for storage but little else. At least have good opening windows up there.
Lap siding has almost no structural strength. If your cabin is on skids , plan on a ridgid sheathing on the walls. Then side over or use plywood siding in the first place.

What problems have you seen?

Owen

neb
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 08:34

Do you think that a 10x10 with 9 buried posts with box framing of 2x10's and just naied would be a problem down the road. There are 3 posts on all 4 side plus one in the middle but just nailed and not bolted. I was going to bolt and Just forgot to do it. It has been a problem yet and if I do I will have to do something then, It is a small worry but what do you think????????????

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 08:52

Is your frame setting on top of the posts? Can you get at the sides of the posts? Maybe you could add a ledger 2x6 or 8 to hold some wieght. A 10 x 10 can't be real heavy and probably not a big issue. I've seen a short 2x6 nailed or screwed from post to floor frame for a fastener.

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 11:08 - Edited by: trollbridge

I mostly worry about so much water being in the ground that our post rot out. We used foundation grade treated post and then tarred the portion that any dirt would be touching but I still worry

I use to worry about the tree trunk post that holds up the center of our cabin- it goes from floor to ridge beam. I researched that before we did it and told my husband it would not shrink in length only in diameter. It has been 3 years now and happily I can say it has not budged!

Every time we add a finish material to the walls or ceiling I can't help but to think about the added weight on the post. I just hope they are adequate! Don't want Bambi legs!

My other worries have to do with weather-mostly winds that knock a tree down on the cabin.

Martian
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 13:10

Why worry? If something you do/did ever fails, just fix it! All structures, whether physical, economic, political, or whatever, are inherently unstable. Worrying doesn't change a thing.

As an aquaintance says, "Even a poorly built house will stand a long time." I see the truth in this statement all the time.

Tom

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 14:11

Quoting: trollbridge
My other worries have to do with weather-mostly winds that knock a tree down on the cabin

lol.this is mine.hee hee.oh well.
i am so happy out there and thinking about living out in our woods.we shall just build another one better than the last.

neb
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 16:14 - Edited by: neb

Quoting: Martian
Worrying doesn't change a thing.

Youare so right!!!!!! I can be a worry wart but learn to control it. Very very true!!!

OwenChristensen
The post run to the top of the 10x10 and pole barn nailed to the posts. The post are 9 inch across the middle of the posts. So yes they run right up too the flooring. I also have a 10x10 run in the center of this 10x10 shack for more support. It is biult stronger then should for a 10x10. Like I said it has large posts total of 9 and one in the center. The psots are easy to get at and all open from the outside and even could get under the shack and work on them. It is off the ground from 3 ft to 1.5 feet as the lay of the land.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 16:16

I worry about showing up at camp and being forced to make a list of everything that has been stolen so that a proper insurance claim can be made. I've got it video taped as well, but the thought of showing up and finding that a criminal has hit pay dirt while I'm working hard for what I have always bothers me...The co-owner of our property, on the other hand, has a more carefree attitude and knows that worrying is pointless especially when we should only be thinking of good thoughts and smiles when it comes to our little piece of Heaven.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 17:12

Neb, I'm sure it's Ok.

Trollbridge, Treated posts actually last longer in the ground than out. Treated wood was designed for wood basements. Then people used it for decks. It dries out too much in a deck to last as long as rated. The rating is for ground contact. Treating last longer that way.

DaJTCHA, I could get real paranoid about theives if they ever strike. I'd be so torqued. I'd probably stand guard the rest of my days. I've never had a problem. The only trespasser was the game warden. I'm still ticked about that.

Owen

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.