Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Mold issues - anyone else having them?
Walnut
# Posted: 11 Sep 2009 14:09

The last two times up to the cabinette (see thread here: URL ) I've opened the place up to find mold on our dining table and mold on some of the studs. Our cabin isn't insulated and is certainly not air tight, but it does seem to be water tight as we've stayed there through some heavy showers and haven't found any leaks.

It has been an unusually wet year at our cabin location so I'm sure that is contributing to the mold issue. Has anyone else had this problem? If so have you found any solutions for preventing the mold that work?

I'm considering a product called Damprid URL but I would prefer a solution that provides more of a physical barrier to moisture. The damprid stuff isn't real expensive, but I'd prefer to fix a problem once rather than have to keep buying more Damprid.

Your suggestions/stories are much appreciated.

Hick
# Posted: 11 Sep 2009 23:43

Walnut,

Mold is something you want to be very careful with. Do you have any pictures that you could post? I do home inspections and I have some friend that do mold removal. I could show them the pictures and see what they say. Could the moisture be coming up from the ground? Is the mold on the bottom of the studs? What siding do you have on your cabin?

Walnut
# Posted: 21 Sep 2009 11:20

I don't have any pictures of the mold, but could get some. I think the mold may be coming up from the ground. The cabin is on posts so it's open underneath the building. I didn't use T&G plywood for the subfloor (should've done that) and now that the wood has shrunk a bit there is a slight air gap where the edges of the subfloor sheets. I haven't noticed mold on the bottom of the studs. I have T1-11 siding.

Thanks

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Jan 2010 00:05

I suspect you have a vapor barrier issue. It sounds liek your set up, you will need to staple on a vapor barrier on the underside of the floor joist. Problem, critters will get up in there. High humidity, temperature difference and little air flow all creates habitat for mold. It need to breathe when you are not there. Does it get warm in the mid day sun? Then cool at night? Temp inside vs outside should remain the same or you will get condensation. Is the interior walls finished? You might add vapor barriers there also.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.