Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / When to treat with Borate?
Greenie
# Posted: 13 Aug 2012 18:05

I am cutting all my logs this year and stacking them to dry until next summer. Should I treat once with Borate now and then again after construction? Is there any reason I should apply now?

GomerPile
# Posted: 13 Aug 2012 20:26

Rain washes borate out if your logs will be around untreated for any length of time. Personally I would just apply permachinks shell guard after the place is built but obviously before you stain.

Also greenish wood won't soak up very much....

trollbridge
# Posted: 13 Aug 2012 20:51

We learned the hard way that fresh cut wood needs to be immediately debarked to prevent the borer type bugs- at least pine does-not sure about other kinds. If the bark is left on the "log humpers" get under the bark and lay their eggs. Eggs turn to larvae and eat the wood then turn into wasp-like looking bugs that fly out in late August/early Sept. It is a 3 year life cycle. This will be our 3rd season so hopefully the cycle will end. If it were me, I would debark AND treat with Borate just to be on the safe side- I believe the Borate will also prevent mildew from growing on the logs.

fpw
# Posted: 13 Aug 2012 22:20 - Edited by: fpw

I treat with borates (penetreat + borax + hot water) right after peeling. Once the logs are on the building hit them with bleach, to remove the gray, rinse, and treat again.
Logs on skide (cut ready to go building).  They were treated before sitting under the snow.
Logs on skide (cut ready to go building). They were treated before sitting under the snow.

fpw
# Posted: 13 Aug 2012 22:48

Also, if you hand scribe, during construction you want to treat the inside the notch and lateral groove, before you install it on the building.
Tractor
Tractor

Greenie
# Posted: 21 Aug 2012 14:58

What if I treat and cover with blue plastic tarp for winter?

fpw
# Posted: 21 Aug 2012 20:58

Treating is great. When you cover with tarp, leave room for air to get under if you can. Just cover the top with plywood and tarp, let ends stay open.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.