Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cost of hiring someone to put a roof on???
SonnyB
# Posted: 20 Aug 2012 21:54

Can anyone tell me what they think it will cost to frame up the rafters/trusses on a 20x32 1 1/2 story with 12' walls and with a 10/12 pitch roof with sheathing, and metal roof installed??

I will not be able to work on my cabin much over the next 3 months so I am thinking of hiring someone to do this so I can atleast get it dried in!

Thanks!

VTweekender
# Posted: 20 Aug 2012 22:14

Doing a quick calculation I think you will be in the 5,000-6,000 range with materials.

SonnyB
# Posted: 21 Aug 2012 08:18

I was hoping for more around $4000

VTweekender
# Posted: 21 Aug 2012 08:35 - Edited by: VTweekender

Quoting: SonnyB
I was hoping for more around $4000

That certainly could be possible, if you can find a deal on the materials and get them yourself. I was calculating 2x8 rafters 16 OC and 2x10 ridge boards, 5/8 CDX sheathing, 1" 4x8 board insulation sheets, higher grade "colored" metal roofing. You could go with OSB sheathing, standard galvanized roofing, possibly 2x6 rafters and get it down to around 4k.
Pretty much put your materials cost together and double it to have a contractor do it will put you in the ballpark.

spelk1
# Posted: 22 Aug 2012 11:10

I paid close to $5000 for the labour/crane rental for a 28x32 here is Saskatchewan. That included installing the rafters, sheeting, shingles, etc. The roof is 12x4 pitch.

All my materials were part of my pre-fab package, so not sure what they were worth.

SonnyB
# Posted: 26 Aug 2012 12:39

I had a few guys come up and look at the cabin to give me a price. Two of the guys using 2x12 rafters 16oc with a beam or ridge beam with 5/8" osb decking then the titaium felt paper then 1x4 stripping with metal roof on top of that.

Another guy that came with really good referances said to use a ridge beam, 2x10 rafters 24oc and then put 1x4 yellow pine on that every 2' strips and then the titaium felt with metal roof on top of that.

He said that I dont need the plywood sheathing and just to go with the 1x4 stripping and it would be fine? He said he has been doing it this way for years now and has not had any leaking from the roofs done this way?

What do yall think??? I am in NGA.

VTweekender
# Posted: 26 Aug 2012 14:34 - Edited by: VTweekender

Sonny, do you plan on insulating inside after? or leaving it open rafters...

SonnyB
# Posted: 26 Aug 2012 21:20

yes

VTweekender
# Posted: 26 Aug 2012 23:54

Then the first 2 guys with the sheathing and 2x12 is your best option..

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.