Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Christmas in August!!!
Spudmasher1
# Posted: 24 Aug 2012 04:52 - Edited by: Spudmasher1

I'm in the planning stage of my cabin build project. I know I can't start building until May next year (2013) so I have been buying used lumber, pulling nails and getting material together. I figure I have saved about $800 so far with the used lumber over buying new so I decided to treat myself.

I have been in the market for a used framing nailer, looking on Craigslist and online ads, comparing and reading reviews. A couple of weeks ago I came across a new 4 nailer set, made in the USA and blew it off because I had never heard of the brand. Then again last week I came across the same deal only a lower price. The reviews were mostly good and that started me to think about buying the set, new.

After more thinking over the weekend and more online searching I found an even better deal on the set. 5 nailers and bag for $244.85 including tax, non-member surcharge and free shipping. I wasn't too happy with the non-member surcharge (Costco) but think the free shipping offset this cost. (Item# 662208) I don't know how long this deal will last but I'm glad I found it. I couldn't find the 5 nailer set anywhere else.

Anyway today they arrived and I was happy as a kid at Christmas. The Freeman set includes a 21 degree full head framing nailer, 34 degree 15 gauge 2 1/2 inch finish nailer, 18 gauge 1 1/4 inch brad nailer, 18 gauge 1 1/4 inch stapler and a mini air palm nailer.

More nailers then I ever thought I'd own or use but for about the price of the framing nailer and finish nailer I needed to buy for my build project.

I already own a roofing nailer but I'm thinking of listing it and ordering a new one for a 6 nailer matched set. This weekend should help me decide. I hope to put nails through all of the guns and see how I like them.

My I'm having fun getting ready for this project! Spuds

Spudmasher1
# Posted: 24 Aug 2012 08:12

Well that was wrong. Not made in USA but China.

Dillio187
# Posted: 24 Aug 2012 12:54

I have to look hard these days to find made in the USA items. EVERYTHING seems like it's made in China.

Brknarow
# Posted: 24 Aug 2012 23:23

I found this a while back, Dillio. Maybe you'll find some use for it. http://www.americansworking.com/index.html

rayyy
# Posted: 26 Aug 2012 08:22

Save your money and just use a hammer.it's great exersize and you can take your frustrations out on them nails.(except when you wack your thumb)

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Aug 2012 19:20

Quoting: rayyy
Save your money and just use a hammer.it's great exersize and you can take your frustrations out on them nails.(except when you wack your thumb)

i built my house 14 years ago---no nail guns justa crew and hammers.....i would not build a dog house with out one now!!!! i have 4 nail guns and luv em!!!!

Spudmasher1
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 03:37

Went to look for nails this weekend at the local (an hour away) Menards store. Thankfully I did not make a special trip just for them. I'm not sure what I expected but I did not think it would be this difficult to buy nails for a "common" 21 degree nailer. I figured I would buy the nails I would need first so I was looking for framing nails. The 2 boxes in the size I needed had quanities of 2000 ($35) and 4000 ($40) but I didn't know what size I really needed and didn't care to buy either without more knowledge. So I came home without any. My brother has a similar nailer, also 21 degree and I'm going to see if I like the nails he has before buying at least for this nailer.

I found no help at all in the sales/stockers at Menards. Ths simple question I asked was "What is the most common framing nail?" The looks I got were numbing. "I duno" was the answer by both but I know I have socks older then both people I asked. And I should have known better then to go at the end of a weekend day.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 07:52

Yeah the death of the small lumberyard is a sad thing. I use the Bostich coil nailer. It takes nails from 3 1/4'' to 1 1/2'' in lenght, galvanised or not. Why Bostich? They're so common nails are easy to find and parts if you need them. My contractor buddies own better nailers, but it could be a problem sometimes.

Owen

Spudmasher1
# Posted: 4 Sep 2012 01:29 - Edited by: Spudmasher1

Well the "deal" is no more. I had told a friend about this 5 nailer combo and he went to order it for himself this weekend and it's gone off the Costco website. Not even a cyber trail web shot.

I'm glad I got mine when I did. I still haven't bought the nails I want. My bother has a few 1000 that I will use through first. That should let me know what I need.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.