Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Pier Size Question
Nick32
# Posted: 26 Aug 2012 14:05

My father in-law has me second guessing myself, so wanted to ask you guys for your thoughts. I am working on a 16x24 cabin on concrete piers. I have planned everything and bought materials to build from 8" concrete forms. Going to go with 8' oc, a total of 12 piers. Single story cabin, no loft. 2x10s as beams, 2x8s and floor joist, and 2x6 as rafters.I will put a footer at frost line, and will come up about 12-18" above grade. Question is, father in law said I should have went with 12" tube forms, NOT 8". Not sure now if I should have went with the larger tubes, or can I just add another 8" pier to each row if strength is needed. Any feedback will help. Hate the thought of bringing in more concrete than needed. I have assumed this whole time that my 8" piers were plenty. Are they??

Nick

VTweekender
# Posted: 26 Aug 2012 14:52

You should be fine , just make sure you get rebar correctly in them and triple layer 2x10 beams I assume.

MtnDon
# Posted: 26 Aug 2012 21:30

There is no problem with an 8" dia concrete, steel reinforced, pier as far as it being strong enough to support a small cabin as described. Where a larger diameter pier shines is in its lateral resistance to movement.

Nick32
# Posted: 27 Aug 2012 10:39

Well perhaps I should add some 12" piers to cut down on the chance of lateral movemnt. I planned adding extra bolts and bracing the piers, but now I am concerned that I should go larger. Maybe I will just use the 8" on my inner piers on my center row, and run 12" along the outer rows. Seems as soon as I make my mind up on something, someone tells me I am wrong, or I read something different.

dvgchef
# Posted: 27 Aug 2012 17:27

Nick32
Everyone has an opinion on this, and it can make you crazy (I know from experience!)

VT and Mtn are correct, you should be fine, but if you have the resources go with your new plan. Ovebuilding a foundation is never a problem once it is completed. I had to rebuild my foundation - that was no fun at all!

Good luck!

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Aug 2012 18:41

Quoting: dvgchef
had to rebuild my foundation - that was no fun at all!

Retrofitting and repairing a foundation is not a fun job at all. Been there and done that.

What is the plan for footings? Most often a poured in place concrete pad about 16x16x8 inches thick with rebar in the center is spec'd. That can be poured and then the sonotubes poured so the concrete is all one mass. Also have you looked into Bigfoot Footing Systems. They are good. A lot depends on your soil; wet clay being the nastiest.

Nick32
# Posted: 30 Aug 2012 08:48

I am pouring a footing directly into the ground...was thinking 16"x16"x8", and if my math is correct, that should be 2 bags of 80lbs concrete. I was going to add #4 rebar to the bottom in an X pattern. I was going to have more #4 rebar coming up from the footer running through the sono tube. Going to do the footings, then later come back and add the sono tubes. Question, if I brace my 8" piers does that make a difference with lateral movement? Will that even work, adding extra bolts and bolting lumber to the piers? I have also thought about using foundation grade 6x6s, but have not found a lumber yard where I can order them. Keep getting pricing for PT lumber, and a sorry I can't help you. So, gave up on that and went back to concrete. I was wanting to bring in just enough concrete as needed. In an area without a road that a concrete truck will deliver to, so bringing in concrete is out.

VTweekender
# Posted: 30 Aug 2012 10:49 - Edited by: VTweekender

Sounds like the lumber yards where you are are the same as here, also no listing for a "foundation grade" , the PT they sell in 4x4 and larger are all rated above AND below grade treated lumber...so I guess maybe the question you put to them is "below grade" treated....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.