Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Floor Question
plpdrsn
# Posted: 22 Sep 2009 11:36

I am converting a 8x14 shed into a small cabin. The floors are 2x6's any ideas for insulating would be very appreciated. Do I need to put down plywood - or will be an underlayment be sufficient? I wanted to use tile/linoleum on top for easy cleanup.

islandguy
# Posted: 22 Sep 2009 17:18

It depends if you want to use your cabin in 4 seasons, and if your winters are very cold. You could use stryofoam under the cabin, or put in a subfloor with a foam overlay with tile or laminate on top of that. The laminate I put in my cabin has built in foam backing, which should provide reasonable insulation for 3 season use.

plpdrsn
# Posted: 23 Sep 2009 09:42

Perfect - thanks! I would love to have it for all 4 seasons but winters here in hills of New England can be pretty cold and very snowy. 3 season use is my goal.

lamar5292
# Posted: 26 Sep 2009 00:41

Also depends on air infiltration from under house. If well sealed and skirted no insulation is generally needed though I still prefer some kind of insulation.

Regular fiberglass batts work if covered by layer of plastic and stapled. You can also put a panel under floor joists and fill in between joists with cellulose insulation.

Tile floors tend to be cold and I prefer carpet with thick carpet pad or wood floors and heavy area rugs.

I used 3/4 wafer board for underlayment and hardwood flooring strips for my cabin.

LaMar

plpdrsn
# Posted: 1 Oct 2009 11:56

Thanks!
I can't get under the cabin to put styrofoam between the joists - not this winter anyway. I may explore that for next year. I thought about carpet but was concerned it would get damp. Waferboard could be a possibility for this winter.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.